Rocking the competition

Students test strength, resolve in bouldering contest at the LaHaye Rock Wall

Chalk dust floated in the air while upbeat music blared from the back corner of the LaHaye Student Union. A crowd of spectators and competitors gathered around the rock wall as the bouldering competition began March 27.

Contest— From beginner level to advanced, participants chalked up their hands, stretched out their muscles and began to attempt each problem designed by the rock wall staff. Photo credit: Amber Tiller, Eric Carson

Bouldering opponents lined up at 4:15 p.m. in anticipation of the challenges ahead. Each competitor took turns on the wall, trying to successfully navigate the skill-based puzzles — often referred to as “problems” — the wall presented.

The climbers had exactly two and a half hours to test their limits and attempt to solve as many problems, or sets of certain colored rock paths, as possible. In order to complete the challenge, competitors had to move from rock to rock in a certain order based on the color of the rocks.

Some competitors, like senior aviation major Zachary Lamothe, claimed this to be their first competition. However, beginners like Lamothe, intermediates and advanced climbers all participated beside each other while being ranked in different categories for scoring.

According to Lamothe, all the competitors desired to win, but they were also all friendly with one another, showing a desire to help others improve their skills
on the wall.

“How the competition works is even though you are competing against people, you’re kind of competing with them as well,” Lamothe said. “You’re helping other people get holds (on the wall), and you’re cheering for people when they get their problem they’ve been trying to solve.”

Despite the friendly competition, someone did come out victorious in each of three divisions. They each took home the bragging rights that go along with first place, as well as gift cards to Outdoor Trails — adding up to $500 — and gear from the event sponsors.

Ethan McGann took home the victory in the beginner division. In the intermediate category, Corey Messer won first place and then grabbed another top title for the crash pad stacking competition, in which competitors had to practice balance as pads were added underneath them.

Untitled-33

Tristan Landon captured the top spot for the advanced sector, and Mark Chauvette achieved the win in the dyno competition, a competition that required an advanced jump move.

Landon, a freshman industrial systems engineering major, only began frequently visiting the LaHaye Student Union Rock Wall when he arrived at Liberty last August, and he said he has now fallen in love with the sport.

“I’m there every day,” Landon said. “I find such a passion in climbing. It’s like an escape for me. I absolutely love being at the wall, because when everything is super stressful, … I have a place I can go.”

For Landon, while the rock wall is a place that challenges him physically and mentally, it has also become a type of home.

“I have a family I can go to, and at the end of the day, every single one of (the rock wall staff) is there for me,” Landon said. “And I think that’s partially why I always (keep) going back to it, because no matter what happens (the rock wall staff is) there for me.”

For some climbers like Landon, the rock wall provides more than just a place to train, it is somewhere they can climb among friends and people who will not judge, no matter what level they are, according to sophomore business administration major Josiah Bardy.

Untitled-32

Bardy just concluded his third bouldering competition at Liberty, competing in the intermediate sector. Bardy said he has had an appreciation for the sport ever since he was introduced to the rock wall in the fall of 2013 in his first few weeks attending Liberty.

“(Bouldering) is for any sort of body type,” Bardy said. “There’s no prejudice. If you come to the wall and you try it out, people are going to want to help you get better. I find (the rock wall) to be a very accepting — in a good way — culture.”

Although Bardy is unable to come to the rock wall as much as he would like, he still mentioned that the best way he can train is just to climb, even if he feels like he cannot master a set.

Landon agreed with Bardy, confirming that the best way to train is to climb out of personal motivation.

“Nobody’s asking me to come (to the rock wall),” Landon said. “I’m just doing it because I love it. … I’m not doing it because I’m forced. I’m doing it because I love (climbing).”

For more information about the LaHaye Student Union and activities occurring during the semester, visit liberty.edu/campusrec/studentunion

TILLER is the feature editor.