Rocking acoustically

Switchfoot front man Jon Foreman played for a sold out crowd of 650 people

At a sold-out show in the LaHaye Event Space Saturday night, Feb. 28, lead singer Jon Foreman of the acclaimed alternative rock band Switchfoot unplugged from his conventional electronic elements for a more intimate, acoustic concert.

Untitled-29

The concert began with Garrett Green, a South Florida native who now makes his home in Lynchburg, Virginia, as a worship leader for Thomas Road Baptist Church.

In the singer-songwriter vein, Green played songs that reflected a heart of worship.

Following Green’s opening, dozens of concertgoers pressed around the stage as Foreman prepared for his set, the audience’s anticipation tangible.

“I love his music. I love how acoustic it is,” Kristen Eppard, a sophomore at the University of Virginia who traveled to see the show, said. “You’re used to seeing large bands and a lot of extra percussion, which is always really fun, but it’s also really nice to get down to a core of a guitar and some nice sound.”

Some fans, such as Karen Ahmad of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, traveled for more than five hours to see the show put on by Student Activities.

“I’ve never seen a Jon Foreman solo show, just Switchfoot, and I love Switchfoot,” Ahmad said. “I’m actually finding my way back to my inner spirit, my faith, and they started me thinking (about my faith).”

Pam Branch of Latta, South Carolina, went to see the show with her husband. Also a Switchfoot fan, Branch said the album “The Beautiful Letdown” had been instrumental in her walk with Christ.

Unify — The LaHaye Event Space provided a close setting for Jon Foreman to connect with the audience. Photo credit: Courtney Russo

“I was going through a tough time, struggling for some answers, … knowing there was still hope, but struggling to get there,” Branch said. “So the songs really resonated with me. I felt like I was losing my faith, and it helped me to realize that it was OK to ask questions and that faith is a struggle for everybody.”

Foreman walked onto a simple stage amid cheers and applause from the audience. Accompanied by friend and cellist, Keith Tutt II, Foreman began their set with the song “Terminal,” a new song written by Foreman that describes the human condition.

As the night proceeded, Foreman addressed the intimacy of the audience and the band partly because of the venue.

“Tonight is a different story,” Foreman said. “Tonight is a conversation where I can hear literally every one of y’all. That’s not always the case with (Switchfoot).”

Continuing the concert, the pair played songs from Foreman’s solo albums, such as “Southbound Train” and “Your Love is Strong,” “Just Rob Me,” and the Switchfoot classics, “Dare You to Move,” “Only Hope” and “Vice Verses,” as well as a cover of Lorde’s hit song “Royals.” Foreman and Tutt also debuted some songs from Foreman’s upcoming project “The Wonderlands,” a series of four six-track EPs, the first of which he hopes to release in April of this year. Foreman said his desire is for the project to be a compilation of 24 songs, one for each hour of the day.

unplug — The alternative rock band’s lead singer Jon Foreman performed original songs and popular Switchfoot classics alongside singer-songwriter Garrett Green. Photo credit: Courtney Russo

Unplug — The alternative rock band’s lead singer Jon Foreman performed original songs and popular Switchfoot classics alongside singer-songwriter Garrett Green. Photo credit: Courtney Russo

Although all 650 tickets to the event were sold, the harmony and comradery between Foreman and Tutt gave the show an intimate feeling, with an acoustic guitar, a cello and a harmonica as the only instruments needed to deliver a night filled with entertainment.

“I don’t know what time it is, I don’t know how many songs we’ve played. We’re all here in this together,” Foreman said. “I love these kind of nights, where … it feels like you’re off-roading in a train. It’s just an incredible feeling. Thank you so much for coming off-roading.”

The last song of the night was “Twenty-four” from Switchfoot’s “The Beautiful Letdown” album, to which audience members wrapped their arms around each other and swayed back and forth, voices singing in unison.

Even after the artists left the stage, students milled around the LaHaye Event Space reflecting on the night.

“It was a very restful experience,” Liberty junior Mackenzie Kern said. “You come back very refreshed and very changed by something that’s a seemingly simple experience.

… (Foreman’s) lyrics are just absolutely incredible. There were so many moments where I was just standing there soaking it in, closing my eyes and even praying and going, ‘OK, Lord, there are these words that are convicting me or drawing me closer to you.’ And I think it affects everyone in a very different way. … It makes you feel alive.”

FYI
According to landofbrokenhearts.org, Jon Foreman’s next stop on “The Wonderland” Tour will be March 9 in Newport Beach, California.

GRAF is a feature reporter.