Trip Lee in concert

Rapper and author will visit Liberty University Thursday, Feb. 5

Performance — Trip Lee has previously performed at Liberty with rapper Tedashi and is now touring for his “Rise” album with KB. Photo credit: Courtney Russo

Acclaimed rapper, author, pastor and Brag Ministry founder, William Lee Barefield III, known by his stage name Trip Lee, will be performing at Liberty University Feb. 5 at 8 p.m. in the LaHaye Event Space. This will be his fourth stop on the Rise Tour to promote his
latest album and book.

Liberty students might recall Trip Lee from his previous performances with fellow rapper Tedashi, and this tour will be alongside Kevin Elijah Burgess, also recognized by his stage name, KB.

Trip Lee’s latest tour, album and book are all entitled “Rise,” which is explained in his biography on reachrecords.com.

“Rise has a lot of different meanings,” Trip Lee’s biography states. “It’s a call to action to rise from the dead and actually live.

We’re born spiritually dead, and I’m calling for everyone to become spiritually alive. Secondly, don’t wait until later to live the way you were created. God created you to honor him, find joy and serve others. Don’t sleep on that. Lastly, rise above the low expectations
people have.”

Through a platform of rap music, rappers such as Trip Lee have been able to spread the word of God throughout the nation according, to Reach Records. Even though Trip Lee travels across the country, he wants to stay humble and keep his life focused on God
according to his biography.

“So many rappers talk about how amazing they are,” Trip Lee’s biography states. “What if when I brag, I’m not talking about me, but I use everything in my life to point to God and honor him? That was the idea. I point to how great he is.”

In the past 10 years, Trip Lee has released four albums, enabling him to reach more than 250,000 people, according to his biography. His 2012 album, “The Good Life,” received two Dove Award nominations. In 2013, after years of interning, Trip Lee became a pastor, according to reachrecords.com.

“I didn’t want to be a big celebrity pastor guy, but I wanted to serve others by proclaiming God’s word,” Trip Lee’s biography states, “I’m finding the right balance between music and pastoring. Being a pastor is more than preaching the sermons on Sundays, it’s living with the people, loving them and caring for them.”

For more information about the concert, visit liberty.edu/sa For more information on Trip Lee and his recent tour, visit reachrecords.com/artists/show/trip-lee.

HOWERTON is a feature reporter.