Musical debuts

‘South Pacific’ opened Feb. 20 in the Tower Theater

Despite blustery winds and freezing winter temperatures outside, audiences in the Tower Theater were transported to a sunny paradise as the theatre department opened “South Pacific” Friday, Feb. 20.

PERFORMANCE — “South Pacific” depicts the joys and sorrows of World War II through musical compositions. Photo credit: Amber Tiller

Written by Richard Rogers and Oscar Hammerstein II, the story is set on an island in the South Pacific during Word War II. Its plot focuses on two parallel love stories threatened by war.

The story provided cast members with an opportunity to learn more about the war.

For senior Lindsey Register, who plays Ensign Nellie Forbush, the challenge in her role was learning to care for something that happened so long ago.

“I don’t even have grandparents that were involved in World War II,” Register said. “Caring about something I had no experience in was not only the most challenging, but also the most rewarding part of this role.”

Senior Cameron Jones, who portrays Lt. Joseph Cable, had similar thoughts as Register regarding the historical lessons he learned through participating in the show.

“Looking into the history has been so beneficial to me,” Jones said. “Gaining a better understanding of what was going on in that time period, such as fully understanding the gravity of the war and what that means for my character and how that would affect his psychology and how he does and approaches things, was one of the most challenging aspects for me.”

Through learning about the war, cast members also gained a deeper appreciation for not only World War II veterans, but current veterans as well.

“To pay homage to the people that made this country the way it was (then) and is (now) is very rewarding for me,” Jones said.

Register also hopes audiences will develop a deeper appreciation for service personnel both past and present.

“I think our audiences will take away an appreciation for the people who fought so bravely and maybe a newfound appreciation for the veterans they might know — grandparents, great-grandparents or neighbors who sacrificed so much,” Register said.

Relating to their characters emotionally was also another learning moment for the cast.

“I find it to be an enjoyable success any time I relate to somebody I don’t imagine I would be able to relate to,” Register said. “I think we both are really optimistic. We both fight really hard to remain optimistic even in hard times.”

For freshman Monica Oquendo-Alvarez, who portrays Bloody Mary, the challenge was trying to understand the various emotional sides of her character.

“She seems very prideful and confident and is able to persuade anyone to do whatever she wants,” Oquendo-Alvarez said. “Deep down it’s all because she has a desire and desperation to give her daughter a brighter future. To portray her with a hard exterior but with the motivation of love was the most challenging for me.”

Aside from the historical and emotional aspects of the show, the cast learned even greater lessons about racism and prejudice, which is something they hope will resonate with the audience.

“Racism was a hot topic when this musical was written,” freshman Joel Zayas, who plays Emile de Becque, said. “Even though the producers were skeptical about adding the topics that address racism, having it in (the script) reminds us that it’s still an issue today.”

Zayas’ thoughts on racism are echoed in Jones’ own remarks.

“As for some of the issues that are talked about (in the show), it is timeless between then and now,” Jones said.

Oquendo-Alvarez understood the issue of racism as her character is involved in it.

“As the main part of (the racist issue) as a Tonkinese native and being involved in it, it would be very rewarding if the audience understands the underlying message of this show,” Oquendo-Alvarez said.

“South Pacific” runs through March 1. Student tickets are $8 and general ticket prices are $15. Tickets can be purchased online or at the university box office.

MAURER is a feature reporter.