Change of plans

Mercedes Cox joins LAX after four years of field hockey

Many young people dream of being able to play college sports, but only for a select few does that dream become a reality. In the case of Mercedes Cox, that dream has been realized not once, but twice.

The Manassas, Virginia, native was a member of Liberty’s field hockey team for the last four years, helping to lead the young program to consecutive Northern Pacific Conference (NorPac) titles. As a graduating member of the first class of Liberty field hockey, Cox emotionally looked back on her final, and very successful, season.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better way to go out. It’s definitely bittersweet,” Cox said. “My class started the program, so we (started out) second to last (in the coaches poll). … To be so established now, I couldn’t have asked for a better thing and it was really cool to see what God can do.”

When one door closes, another one opens. Cox found this out for herself while hanging out around the lacrosse clubhouse one day. After noticing the lacrosse team’s ad for a goalkeeper on the Liberty splash page, she briefly entertained the idea.

What was initially a casual thought became a reality following the prompting of many members of the women’s lacrosse team. Practicing with only one goalie, the team was excited at the prospect of having an experienced NCAA athlete join the squad.

“I thought about it and was like, ‘Why not, you only have four years of eligibility and when it’s up, it’s up,’” Cox said. “I was like, ‘I might not be good, but you can shoot at me.’”

Though Cox played lacrosse in high school, she admittedly has no experience at the goalkeeper position, an obstacle that is sure to make for an interesting season. Head Coach Kelly Nangle noted that while her role will be different, her presence is a welcomed addition.

“To be able to get (Cox) on board is great because she’s a Division I athlete,” Nangle said. “She knows what it means to be a part of a team. … We don’t have to teach her those things. … She kind of just jumped right in.”

Nangle is excited about Cox’s potential. Already familiar with the defender position and loaded with athleticism, she is coming along and growing in her understanding of her new position.

“As far as leadership goes and experience, (Cox) brings that to the table because she’s played for four seasons,” Nangle said. “She’s a competitor, so when she’s back there she’s always talking, keeping the girls in check, which is good.”

Even though she is entering into a new team and an entirely new position, Cox hopes she can still bring a sense of leadership to her new squad given her past four years of experience.

“I can be more of, like, a nurturing senior, where I’m just going around and really getting to know people and bringing some of the things that worked for us in field hockey to lacrosse,” Cox said.

Cox comes into a new situation where she will have to assume a whole new role among her new teammates, who Cox says have done a great job of welcoming her during the seamless transition.

“Everyone is so sweet,” Cox said. “Any time I get a save or something, everyone is just super encouraging about it … and freak out like I’ve saved the National Championship-winning goal. (I’m) getting there.”

According to Cox, her former field hockey teammates could not believe her new venture when she broke the news, but she explained that they have been supportive the whole way.

“(My teammates are) really excited for me, and they’ve been really supportive,” Cox said. “They’ve all been really sweet.”

A sporadic decision seems to be paying off well for the new goalkeeper, who anticipates being a part of something new and special this spring.

“I’m looking forward to getting to be a part of a different dynamic,” Cox said. “I think we’re going to have such a successful year. … Watching (the team) in practice, … there’s so much depth. I’m excited to be a part of this pioneering team.”

The Lady Flames lacrosse team will face Virginia Tech as they kick off their season Feb. 6 at the Liberty Lacrosse Field. The game is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.

CARTER is a sports reporter.