Hawkins appointed

After Dr. Ronald Godwin retired from his post as provost last year, Dr. Ronald Hawkins became the interim provost. He accepted President Jerry Falwell’s request to make the new position permanent Jan. 23.

“Dr. Hawkins has been a loyal Liberty stalwart for decades,” Falwell told the Liberty University News Service. “I can’t think of anybody better to lead the provost’s office. I am just thrilled that he agreed to be our provost.”

Hawkins has been at Liberty for more than 30 years. The new academic executive has served as vice provost since 2006. Hawkins has more than 20 years of experience in counseling and consulting.

Additionally, Hawkins earned a Doctor of Education degree in counselor education from Virginia Tech, a Doctor of Ministry degree from Westminster Theological Seminary, an Education Specialist degree from Lynchburg College and a Master of Divinity degree from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.

“I am deeply honored to be able to finish my career at Liberty in this very important posting,” Hawkins told the Liberty University News Service. “I have been at Liberty for a long time — I love this place, I love the faculty, the leadership.”

Hawkins began his career at Liberty in the late ’70s as a Bible and homiletics professor. Soon thereafter, he was promoted to chair of the department of church ministries and went on to found the masters in counseling program, which has come to be among the university’s largest online and residential programs.

“I will do everything that I can to advance Liberty’s reputation as a world-class university,” Hawkins told the Liberty University News Service. “I am also very grateful that I have such an excellent team of associates and faculty working with me. I am delighted to be able to interact with them and to provide leadership for them.”

In his new post, Hawkins will be the administrative advocate for the academic programs at Liberty and will be responsible for overseeing the organization of the graduate and undergraduate programs, supervising the academic budget and appointing and leading personnel to manage the university’s daily educational functions.

Goins-phillips is the opinion editor.