Convo Connection

“He is mighty to save. He is mighty to save.”

I was overwhelmed as the worship band sang this song at the beginning of Convocation Friday. “Mighty to save. The one who
conquered the grave. Author of my salvation.” This was the core message of our speakers’ testimonies this week — God is mighty to save.

Kelly

Kelly

Pastor Joel Engle spoke to us Wednesday about religion and relationship. He had followed hard after religion, finding his significance in earthly accomplishments and church participation. However, he was missing the most important aspect of true Christianity — a personal, intimate relationship with Christ. A relationship not based on works but solely on the grace, mercy and favor of God. In contemplating Engle’s message, I realized how often I have sought the favor of God through works when he has already extended it to me through Jesus.

Former United Sates Marine Tim Lee also wrestled in his relationship with God. He was saved when he was 10 years old, but then he rebelled and allowed worldly pursuits to distract him away from Jesus. A turning point for Lee in his faith journey eventually occurred after he lost his legs while serving in Vietnam.

“Today I’m in a wheelchair, and today I’m in the will of God,” Lee said.

A man who nearly lost his life found life and the saving grace of Jesus Christ. What the enemy meant for evil, God used for good.

Let us be honest. All too often we fall into the trap of religion and the things of this world, forgetting how and why we came to God in the first place. But the amazing thing is the grace that saves us is the same grace that draws us back to the heart of God. The one who started a good work in us will complete it. Nothing can separate us from his love, and nothing we do or do not do can make him love us any more or less. This is awesome news. This is the gospel and the very core of why our God is and always will be mighty to save.