Ending on a high note

Warning: Undefined array key "url" in /var/www/html/wp-includes/media.php on line 1433

Warning: Undefined array key "descriptor" in /var/www/html/wp-includes/media.php on line 1433

After 12 years, Christian band Anberlin says goodbye with Farewell Tour

Dedicated — Stephen Christian, along with other band members, decided to stop after many years together to pursue other options such as business and ministry careers. Photo provided

Hundreds of cities, millions of fans and countless hours on the road. All of these things make up the life of Stephen Christian, lead singer of the widely known alternative rock band Anberlin.

With carefully styled brunette hair, a black leather jacket and deep-set brown eyes focused on the people in front of him, Christian took the stage and sang his heart out night after night. What many people do not know about Christian, however, is that he received his master’s degree from Liberty University. In the midst of a busy schedule comprised of constant touring, making music and press engagements, he set aside time to take online classes in business administration.

“I loved my experience at Liberty,” Christian said. “I learned so much from my professors and fellow students alike.”

Academics, however, were not the only thing that Christian learned during his time at Liberty.

“Even more than the curriculum, I learned self-discipline and the confidence that I can succeed when I work hard and dedicate myself to a task,” Christian said.

According to fellow business student Dan Holmberg, Christian’s 45-hour Master of Business Administration program required hard work.

“Quite honestly, I don’t know how he did it,” Holmberg said. “The business program is hard enough as a residential student, never mind adding a full-time music career into the mix. That takes dedication and perseverance.”

Anberlin has sold more than one million records, attracting the attention of the masses throughout the band’s decade-long music career. But Anberlin’s time has dawn to a close. The band members officially announced that they were planning on calling it quits earlier this year. Anberlin closed with one last headlining tour in the fall.

The tour was entitled “The Farewell Tour.” It had both national and international dates, including more than 50 cities worldwide. Anberlin played music from its newest and final album “Lowborn,” but also included songs from the beginning of its career.

“I plan on absorbing every single second,” Christian said about the band’s last tour. “I want to make sure to take in every moment of the tour on and offstage.”

Christian shared that over the years, he has had to miss out on several family activities. He was excited to be reunited with his family and to be able to attend events ranging from birthday parties and graduations to anniversaries and reunions.

“All of this may sound mundane to the average person, but for us, instability has been the only stability throughout the years,” Christian said. “I want to reconnect with my family and friends and put down roots.”

Christian is originally from central Florida but now looks forward to living full-time in Nashville with his wife and children.

Although Anberlin’s members are ready to take some time off and begin a new season of life at home, many fans questioned what made the band decide to call it quits.

“(For) 12 years, we just put our heart and soul into this, so why leave it with putting a bad taste in peoples’ mouths?” Christian said.

According to Christian, he has seen many bands that have prolonged their careers for far too many years, and Anberlin would rather end on a positive note.

“We want to end with hugs and celebrate the life that was Anberlin and not be bummed about us ending,” the band’s blog states. “We want to give each of our fans, the ones that gave us the most, one last show.”

Christian and the band have always been open about their faith, saying they desire to live as lights for Christ during their time both on and off the road.

“We, as followers of Christ, need to be on the forefront of dance, art, photography, painting, design, fashion, etc.” Christian said.

Christian calls students to “embrace the culture, learn, grow, then evangelize through whatever means God has given you talent in.”

With his degree from Liberty, Christian said he can see himself pursuing a career combining both business and ministry.

“I think that God’s really leading me to work with an organization much like World Vision, or something to that effect, where they want a master’s degree in something very practical,” Christian said. “I think business is very practical in the ministry, because a lot of times there’s either a real business mind in the ministry or there’s a real ministry mind. I think there needs to be a conglomerate of both.”

As Christian’s musical career with Anberlin recently closed and he began a new season of life, he calls us to remember the words that Helen Keller once shared: “What we have once enjoyed, we can never lose — all that we love deeply becomes a part of us.”

NADEAU is a guest writer.