Convo Connection

Singer and songwriter Chris Tomlin set the tone for last week’s convocation by marshaling his talents and moving us with story and worship. As he sang, Tomlin helped us refocus on the grace and goodness of God. I was reminded this week of the significance of the simple yet profound fact that we are able to freely worship Jesus Christ in an educational institution such as Liberty.

As Christians, we are by default part of a great conflict because the world is by nature hostile toward God. In fact, 2 Timothy 3:12 makes it pretty clear, “Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.”

Untitled-7

Our sojourn through time in a world that is antagonistic to all that is godly is a battleground. Consider James 4:4, which tells us that “friendship with the world means enmity against God. Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.” Those are pretty stark lines that James has drawn there.

“Freedom’s not free. It comes at a cost.” These sentiments were heralded by David Nasser, and they have resonated in my heart and mind since he spoke them in Convocation last Wednesday in his introduction of retired Lt. Col. Oliver North.

The amount of respect and reverence our student body showed this brave man was astounding. But our standing ovations were motivated by all that he has accomplished in order to help secure that one vital thing on which this country stands firm — our freedom.

However, freedom does not guarantee safety. In fact, freedom invites danger. Because at the very point when you feel free, the enemy is prowling around like a roaring lion ready to shackle you back in chains. And yet, there is no fear in this, because we know beyond doubt that Jesus died to break every chain and give us abundant life here and now, as well as for eternity.

As I listened to the passion in North’s voice, I became overwhelmed by what God is doing here at Liberty University. North is a man that has clearly been impacted by his relationship with God. And is that not what we need and hopefully desire? We should long for people to look at us and realize that we have been impacted by our faith.

Maybe that is why worshipping with Tomlin was so life changing — because he took me into the presence of Jesus. Even though I was with countless other people, I shared an intimacy with Christ then and there that shaped and defined me as having been deeply changed by Jesus’ love.

Louie Giglio, pastor of Passion City Church, gave our student body a new perspective on the will of God Friday. At some point, most have asked the question, “How can I know God’s will for my life?” I remember asking this question over and over again. My heart longs to do what God has called me to do, but sometimes it is hard to determine what God’s will is. The truth is, we do not have to know because God will reveal his will for our lives in his timing, not ours.

Giglio described how God is not necessarily interested in our five or 10-year plans. Rather, he is interested in having a relationship with us. The most essential wiring in our human nature is the ability to have a relationship with the Father. We only have one life to live. If we follow hard after Christ, we are guaranteed to find ourselves walking in his will. The question remains: are we willing to leave our comfort zone and forsake the things of this world for Christ? Are we willing to step out in faith into an unknown future? Because there is one thing we can know for certain — God’s plan for our lives can never be thwarted.