Flames drop Bulldogs

Men’s soccer rallies back to beat UNC-Asheville, wins for third time in four games

After UNC-Asheville (1-8-3, 0-4-1 Big South) went ahead on the “shot of a lifetime” early in the game, Liberty (8-4-1, 3-3 Big South) men’s soccer fought back with three goals in a 10-minute stretch to cruise to its third win in four games.

In the 15th minute, UNC-Asheville’s Victor Aguiar received a throw-in near the sideline. In one swift movement, Aguiar turned and volleyed the ball over the outstretched hands of Liberty’s keeper Scott Sutarik into the upper left corner of the goal.

“We started off really well,” Liberty Head Coach Jeff Alder said. “We wanted to score the first goal, and next thing you know, the ball bounces and the kid hit the shot of a lifetime.”

Eighteen minutes later, Liberty’s Blessing Tahuona responded with his second goal of the season off a header directly from a
corner kick to tie the game.

“It was a great feeling,” Tahuona said. “I was happy for myself and my teammates above all. It’s always good to do great for your team. … It’s about them. Score goals, assist, pass for your team — it’s about them.”

Less than three minutes later, Sachem Wilson finished a shot from just outside the box for the go-ahead goal. This was Wilson’s sixth goal of the season and 18th of his career.

Brady Mazzei, a redshirt-freshman, played arguably the best game of his short career so far. Mazzei has only played in four games this season because of a sports hernia that was supposed to sideline him for much longer than it did.

While Mazzei was not credited with an assist on Wilson’s goal, he did help set it up. Just after entering the game, Mazzei drew a free kick on the left corner of the 18-yard box. He then received the ball off the free kick and took a hard shot that deflected right to Wilson, who buried it away for the second goal.

“Lately, I feel like I have been playing below par,” Mazzei said. “Before the game, I told myself, ‘I’m just going to come out here and lay it all on the field. I’m not gonna care what people think if I mess up or make mistakes. It doesn’t really matter.’ I kept my head up, and just gave it my all.”

Mazzei was not the only substitute that had an impact on the game. Kurt Meyers, also a redshirt-freshman, only played six minutes, but that was all he needed. In the 43rd minute, Meyers drove to the middle, where he slotted the ball to Tyler Bullock, leaving him to do the rest. Bullock finished it to score his first goal of the season.

“Our resolve and our resiliency and our determination was off the charts,” Alder said. “Next thing you know, we score three times back to back to back. I was very proud of their efforts.”

The Flames looked to score again immediately in the second half, but a second goal by Tahuona was called back because of an offsides call. Liberty outshot Asheville 22-5 and only allowed one shot in the second half.

“I’ll be honest with you, we’ve left a lot of chances out there,” Alder said. “I told the boys today we (were) due to score some goals on somebody, I just didn’t know when it was going to be. Fortunately, today it all came together.”

Liberty has only three games left before the Big South Tournament, and the Flames believe they can beat anyone they face. Their next game is Oct. 28 at NC State.

“I have been trusting God each and every day,” Tahuona said. “‘God, you take out this test, I’ll do my best on the field. I know that I’ll get there.’ Day by day, we just keep working hard.”

SCHMIEG is a sports reporter.