Powell debuts new album

Third Day lead singer explores a different sound while performing at Liberty

Liberty University students gathered in the LaHaye Event Space Friday, Sept. 19 to hear Mac Powell perform a concert promoting his new country album.

country — Mac Powell performed for CFAW. Photo credit: RJ Goodwin

Country — Mac Powell performed for CFAW. Photo credit: RJ Goodwin

Known primarily as the lead singer for the four-time Grammy award-winning Christian band Third Day, Powell has recently branched out and is paying homage to his country roots with a second solo country album.

However, Liberty students were not the only ones in attendance at the concert.

Kelsi Holstein, a College for a Weekend visitor, and her parents went to the concert to hear Powell’s music for the first time.

“I like it,” Holstein said. “I’m not a huge country fan, but it was good.”

Powell introduced the audience to music from his latest album “Southpaw,” which means left-handed. He said Friday night felt particularly special compared to the past two shows he performed.

“This is only the third show of the tour,” Powell said. “We had a good time those first two nights, but honestly, I feel like that was a little bit of practice for (Friday night).”

Liberty student Abby Grimes liked the fact that it was a relatively small concert. There were 500 tickets up for grabs, and according to the Office of Spiritual Programs, all 500 tickets were sold.

“I felt like it was more intimate, and you could get to know (the band) a little bit better,” Grimes said. “It was a lot of fun.”

Bass guitarist Heath Balltzglier said this was not his first time on Liberty’s campus.

“I’ve been (to Liberty) a few times,” Balltzglier said. “I was in a worship band called Fee and we led (worship) here a few times at different things.”

Powell performed a variety of songs, including a Third Day song and a song by Powell’s favorite artist, Johnny Cash.

“The Lord is not going to mind us doing a Johnny Cash song,” Powell said on stage. “So I figured (if) the Lord don’t mind, y’all don’t mind doing a Johnny Cash song.”

Powell’s new country album has been described as a “rootsy collection of foot-stompin’, hand-clappin’, country tunes,” according to Powell’s official website.

“I had a really cool time writing music,” Powell said. “But I also had the chance to write with some cool people that I look up to, that I love their music.”

Powell collaborated with country music singers Kristian Bush of Sugarland, Darius Rucker and Travis Tritt for his “Southpaw” album.

“Southpaw” is a way for Powell to pay tribute to his early musical inspirations while showcasing some music with a little less seriousness than Christian music affords, according to Powell’s official website.

Grimes said she is a big country fan and loves that Powell is branching out in his style of music.

“I think it’s a good thing,” Grimes said. “I think he’s able to reach more people that way, and I think he did a really good job. And he sounds really great too.”
Powell had the audience singing and dancing along to the closing country song of the night, “Mississippi.”

“I thought it was amazing, the crowd was awesome,” mandolin and electric guitar player Jason Hoard said. “Best (show) so far. It will probably be the best (in
the end).”

For more information about Powell, tour dates and locations, visit macpowell.com/tour.

BUNNER is a feature reporter