Alleradd promises academic success

College graduates create healthy, over-the-counter alternative to combat the abuse of prescription drugs

The new drug Alleradd has hit the markets, thanks to the work of two former financial engineers, Lucas Siegel and Matthew Piskorz, according to a press release from Alleradd.

ABUSE — Prescription study aids have become a popular option among students. Google Images

The drug, which sounds suspiciously like its prescription counterpart Adderall, is supposed to be a legal, healthy stand-in drug that helps people focus and “gain a competitive advantage,” according to the press release.

I have no doubt that Siegel and Piskorz made the drug with good intentions, but I think it could cause more difficulties. They saw what they thought was a problem and concocted a solution. The problem is that students abuse prescription drugs in order to help them focus and, consequently, receive better grades.

Enter Alleradd, the over-the-counter, memory-enhancing, stress-reducing, energy-producing drug. According to the press release, it contains 18 essential ingredients that, “when combined together in correct quantities, resulted in the perfect balance of elevated focus, mood and mental drive.”

Siegel and Piskorz used their own bodies to test the various mixtures until they found the right one. There was no mention of additional test groups or double-blind studies with placebos. Their next step was to send the newly created product to businesspeople and CEOs who reportedly gave the drug rave reviews.

I really cannot bring myself to make a moral judgment on the rightness or wrongness of Alleradd. Obviously, some people take medicine to alter their minds in a positive way — as in, it helps people with serious mental or emotional disorders.

But Alleradd is not meant for people with mental or emotional disorders. So, I can make an analytic judgment.

Truly, I think it is a cop-out. Alleradd makes a person falsely focused and falsely responsible. It is a drug for people that lack self-control and have little desire to gain it.

I want to know why it is necessary. Why should I take it? In the past, people have rarely relied on medicine to help them focus. They just forced themselves to focus.

But according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, “The percentage of children with a parent-reported ADHD diagnosis increased by 22 percent between 2003 and 2007.”

I seriously doubt that so many people live with ADHD. I think the statistic represents a decrease in the threshold for an ADHD diagnosis.

I decided to click the link provided in the press release to see how Alleradd’s website would answer my question.

Alleradd actually has a pretty remarkable website. I expected to find a rinky-dink site with dead links and pop-ups, but was met instead with a smoothly operating, modern layout. It even has a high-quality, introductory video embedded on the homepage.

I also found the list of 18 special ingredients that contribute to Alleradd’s apparent quality. Out of the scientific jargon and overwhelmingly long names, I only recognized one — caffeine. All the ingredients had little blurbs eulogizing the unique benefits offered by each, along with an impressive and utterly worthless chemical diagram for added visual appeal. Most ingredients, I think, can be found in other food sources.

Of course, there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the screen that says, “These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.”

And, for what it is worth, only 179 people like Alleradd on Facebook. Further poking around led me to scamadviser.com. Do not worry — Alleradd’s website seems safe. Scamadviser showed that the website is 206 days old as of Oct. 29. Further, it says, “The website has been newly registered with a short life expectancy, which follows the pattern used by many fraudulent websites. Please be vigilant and take extra care before providing any payment information.”

The site’s life expectancy is only a year, according to scamadviser, a website designed to expose fraudulent websites.

It appears this alleged panacea pill lacks the popularity and business oomph to make its creators rich. And I almost feel bad for Siegel and Piskorz, because the press release says they quit their careers to make Alleradd.