From the Desk

Liberty University can be a confusing place for single people. With couples forming left and right, the pressure to date can sometimes be intense.

The phrase “ring by spring” is a prevalent mindset for dating. While dating can be a great way to get to know people, have fun and find a future spouse in college, the clock is not ticking as fast as you might think.

Contrary to popular belief, single people exist outside of Liberty and college in general. Although that might be hard to realize while inside the Liberty bubble, the realization is necessary nonetheless.

Leasure

Leasure

I know many people who have met at Liberty, started dating and are now engaged or married. I believe these people are genuinely trying to follow God’s will for their lives. In fact, I can think of a few couples who are fantastic, godly role models for their friends at Liberty.

In addition to those friends, I met multiple members of student leadership during my three years living on campus who were excellent examples of godly relationships for the younger students living at the dorm, not to mention the positive influence resident directors have on students as well.

Having said that, freshmen rushing into relationships is an all too common occurrence at Liberty. Even more frequently, many upperclassmen feel pressured to find that special someone before their college years are done.

Yes, college is one of the easiest places to meet people your own age, but the idea of graduating college without a ring or a relationship should not induce fear.

In the past, I have heard students try to blame the pressure to date on Liberty and the administration’s positive view of marriage. Although a few dating or marriage jokes in Convocation are always inevitable, I think that the pressure from other students far surpasses any other influences that may exist.

What is the solution? Step back and put things into perspective. Dating in college can be a positive thing, but desperately looking for someone to match up with just is not worth the stress. Paul even talks in the Bible about the advantages of being single in 1 Corinthians 7: 8-9.

“Now to the unmarried and the widows I say it is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion (NIV).”

So cheer up, single Liberty students. There is more to life than a Facebook relationship status, and single does not have to mean solitary.