From the desk

After the Oct. 3 presidential debates, I found myself bombarded with comments from my friends all over Facebook.

Cassidy

Most of the friends that I still have from my public, northern high school were very outspokenly singing President Barack Obama’s praises. Nearly all of my friends from my private, Christian university in the south were harping on the fact that voting for anyone besides presidential candidate Mitt Romney would be ridiculous.

Being caught in the middle of the two, I find myself not questioning my own choice for president, but questioning the methods people use to figure out who they will be voting for Nov. 6.

A good amount of my generation who interacted after the debate did not speak about how well whichever candidate they were supporting presented himself, or how great of a point so-and-so made. No, instead they spoke about how awful Romney looked or how terrible of a person Obama is.

Not until some of my friends were challenged on their opinions did anyone try to make a good point about the presidential candidate they were supporting, and many of these comments did not even make sense.

Do not get me wrong, I was also able to hear from some of my more educated friends who had a reason for voting for Romney or Obama. But the point is that they were educated. They knew what they were talking about.

So many people these days are blindly supporting one presidential candidate because it is the cool thing to do, or because their parents were Republicans or Democrats, and following in their footsteps would only be natural.

When does the bandwagon support stop, and the education begin?

Voting can be an incredible experience that allows your voice to be heard if done correctly. Casting your vote without any knowledge about who the candidates are, what they have done in their past offices, or what they support and will be trying to pass into law once elected, however, can be detrimental to the country.

Instead of advocating for people just to vote, the older generations should be encouraging us to educate ourselves about politics and the people involved in them, and only then cast our vote. Supporting Obama or Romney just because it “feels right” does not sit well with me.

Frankly, I would rather people not vote at all if the most they know about the candidates are their political party or where they shop to get great deals.

I do not want the country I live in to be run by a president voted in by a bunch of mindless voters.

Listen to the words the candidates say, listen to what they are not saying, and educate yourselves on their platforms. You will learn a lot.

• It does not really matter. Neither one is going to do anything that voters want.If no one registered to vote showed-up to vote, that WOULD BE SOME STATEMENT OF AWAKENING
    The last time federal spending was reduced from one year to the next was a half-century ago, during the Eisenhower administration.
    Since then, it matters little which party is in office because both sides have increased spending. Each side also has a habit of meddling in foreign affairs, starting wars, borrowing without consideration, and both Democrats and Republicans support a limitless government and its intrusion in our lives.
    Your vote may make you feel good about our form of government, but if history is any sort of guide, it will have little effect on the nation’s direction. The sad truth is that the entity that controls our nation’s fate really isn’t in the White House, Senate or House of Representatives.
    Mayer Amschel Rothschild is credited with saying, “Give me control of a nation’s money and I care not who makes the law.”
    In the United States, our nation’s money is controlled by a handful of financiers operating an independent bank known as the U.S. Federal Reserve.
    If you are under the false impression that this bank is government controlled, think again.
    The legislation was drafted by a handful of private bankers. It was passed by an act of Congress on Dec. 23, 1913, and signed into law one hour later by President Woodrow Wilson.
    Our president does appoint the Federal Reserve chairman, however, neither he nor any other government entity, ratifies decisions made by the Federal Reserve.
    In other words, the power to destroy our nation’s currency and economy are in the hands of a very few. Unfortunately, these few are not chosen by the population they claim to assist.
    And perhaps before we go further, we should examine the results of nearly a century of Federal Reserve actions. Using the Consumer Price Index, we find that an item costing a dollar in 1913 would cost about $23.52 today.
    In other words, your buck has lost more than 95 percent of its value.
    If we based our calculations on gold, the picture is even bleaker with that same dollar worth now a little more than penny.
    What was once one of the soundest currencies on the planet, backed by gold and silver in 1913, is today backed by nothing other than our government’s authority to tax. Perhaps not so coincidentally, the Sixteenth Amendment (the income tax) was ratified just a few months before the Federal Reserve Act.
    We’ve been silently robbed through currency debasing since the moment the Fed began. Each subsequent manipulation, under benign names like “quantitative easing,” steals more of your money.
    Here is what Wilson said later about what he unknowingly helped bring into existence.
    “A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men who, even if their action be honest and intended for the public interest, are necessarily concentrated upon the great undertakings in which their own money is involved and who necessarily, by very reason of their own limitations, chill and check and destroy genuine economic freedom.”
    And so as you step behind the ballot curtain and cast your vote for the next U.S. president, be prepared to be disappointed.
    The only power to change the direction of this country is found with the central bank. As long as these bankers continue to provide the politician’s with enough funny money to pay for their welfare and warfare, real change is exactly what you know it to be: an empty campaign slogan.