Communications career fair draws students

The School of Communication had its first exclusive career fair Oct. 25 at the Williams Stadium pavilion.

The Career Center organized the fair to provide Liberty University School of Communication students and alumni the opportunity to network, apply and interview with local and national companies.

Career — Professionals talked at the career fair Oct. 25. Photo credit: Joel Coleman

Some of the organizations that attended to recruit interns and employees were Clear Channel Communications, Innovative Faith Resources, The Washington Fellowship, WSET-TV (ABC 13) and Gleaning for the World.

Students were required to dress professionally and were encouraged to talk to any of the employers or recruiters who had a table.

“It’s exciting because they tell you what they’re looking for, and I’m really excited to know there are opportunities for me,” Tyler Brown, a video broadcasting major, said.

The recruiters expressed their reactions to the students who attended the event.
“I think they’ve been prepared really well. They check out the website and come in ahead of time,” Jeff Woolard, the representative of Primerica, said.

“I think the students have been very professional. I’ve enjoyed the questions they’ve asked. I’m intrigued with their background, their enthusiasm with finding an internship,” Ishmael LaBiosa, media specialist for Innovative Faith Resources and Liberty University alumnus, said.

The Career Center held two professional workshops, including topics such as resumes, networking, interviewing and follow-up techniques prior to the event to prepare students to speak with the employers.

Melissa Calloway, the event coordinator for the Career Center, explained how the office prepares the students who plan on attending.

“We have professional development workshops for each school,” Calloway said.
Students were urged to come prepared to speak to the organizations that attended the event.

“The students who came to my table have been very prepared,” LaBiosa said. “Many have told me they researched the organization. They knew where we’re located, they know what we do — it’s very impressive.”

Jenny Marshall, the Human Resources Director for ABC 13, explained why the broadcasting company comes to recruit.

“They have good communications students, and we have a number of current employees that are Liberty graduates,” Marshall said. “Also, it’s a great resource to have close by students that are interested that can work part-time jobs while they’re students.”

Many of the recruiters encouraged students to attend career fairs when they can.

“This is huge,” LaBiosa said. “Every student who has an opportunity to come to an internship fair and doesn’t come is really wasting their time in college. When I was a student at Liberty University, I attended every internship fair, because I knew the opportunities there. They’re looking for help in the office, but they’re also looking to hire down the road.”

Some students come to career fairs without even knowing exactly what they are looking to pursue as a career.

“It’s a good way (students) can see what is available,” Marshall said.

Marshall added that it is important to consider every organization because most have job opportunities that students might not have anticipated were available.
Calloway stressed why it is important to attend the career fairs and network with employers.

“With networking, you never know who you’re going to meet, and you never know where God really wants you,” Calloway said. “Sometimes, you may go to a table with no intention of ever working there, and you meet someone and say ‘Wow, this is a dream job I never knew I wanted.’ So just keep your mind open.”