Parking responses

Students and staff have differing views on parking

Students, staff and faculty have expressed mixed feelings about the new parking system that has been in effect since the first day of the new semester.

Josh Steele, an off-campus senior exercise science major, does not mind the current parking arrangement. “I get here early enough, and I never have a problem finding a spot,” Steele said. “I think this structure has opened up campus a lot.”

He also alluded to the bus system being a great option to get around campus. “Most of my classes are in Green Hall, and I park in that area, so it makes things really easy for me,” Steele said.

Amanda Wine, a sophomore on-campus student, does not particularly appreciate the new parking system. “Although I’m a sophomore and was able to bring my car to campus this year, I would rather freshmen and sophomores not be allowed to bring a car to campus, because it would open up parking even more,” Wine said.

Deborah Huff, the faculty advisor for the Liberty Champion, is thrilled with the parking system. “I am able to park in front of my office every day. There are always spaces, and that has taken a lot of stress away,” Huff said.

The fee for faculty and staff to park in the gated lots has jumped from $50 to either $400 or $600. If they choose not to park in the gated lots, they have the same options as students of parking in a zone or carpooling.