Equestrian Center open

Jumps — Students who are trained in horse racing, jumping and showing are able to practice their skill at the barn. Photo credit: Paige Blanton, Equestrian Center

In hopes of being able to house more horses, Liberty University’s Equestrian Center will continue with construction throughout the summer.

Caroline Martin, the official barn manager, has become the “go-to” person for relations between the barn and the management of the university.

“We have accomplished so much so far with the center. There is still much work that needs to be done. This summer, the center continues to plan to work on pasture fencing for the area to be able to hold more horses. We have 11 right now and hope in the near future to house up to 48. The main entrance to the barn will hopefully be completed this summer, along with progress on the cross country ring and the dressage arena,” Martin said.

The barn is focused on making all horse disciplines feel welcome and at home.

“We aren’t just particularly great at just one area of riding. We are very good at a bunch of different things,” Martin said.

The barn recently held a CFAW open house where potential students could look around and learn more about horses. This past CFAW, over 65 visitors attended and showed great interest in being a part of the facility.

Students who do not know much about horses or would like a chance to experience them are more than welcome to come up and take a lesson.

“Students who want to become more involved can email me and we will set them up with a time to come up, get personal instruction, and enjoy some time in the saddle,” Martin said.

Riding is free for current Liberty students. Those interested in bringing their horse with them are able to use the barns for boarding.

“I have been riding since I was five years old,” Cecily Marker said. “I came to Liberty because I could bring my horse Winnie, who is a 14-year-old Arabian Quarter horse cross. This place has turned into a tiny community for me and it has been absolutely great to find my own niche with people who all have the exact same interest as me.”

The center plans to have more publicity and become better developed as time goes on, including adding on potential club teams in the next year.

“I think this whole addition to the university is really great. I remember when I was a student, how I wished something like this was here,” assistant barn manager Mary Hedrick said. “I think it will greatly attract more students in the future so they can continue to ride along with enjoying their studies.”

According to Hedrick, the new center gives students a chance to experience the outdoors and try something that captivates so many people.

“I absolutely love the staff here. They are so caring for my horse Robinhood. The center is so individualized for every single horse that is here. I love having my horse here at school with me, especially since I live in Michigan. It’s like having a little piece of home with me,” Chelsey Jordan said.

Students and faculty are encouraged to check out the new center and discover their inner equestrian capabilities. For more information, contact Martin at cgmartin4@liberty.edu.