Snowy weather hits ‘burg

Sledding — Students slide on slippery slopes after Sunday’s snowstorm. Eight inches of snow blanketed the campus. Photo credit: Ruth Bibby

Lynchburg’s first snowstorm of the season hit Sunday, and Liberty University students rushed outside to enjoy the weather.

Junior Chad Porell decided to go sledding down the Hill along with dozens of other Hill residents.

“That was so fun,” he said. “It was fun till I wiped out — that was unfortunate.”

Nursing a skinned shoulder, the South Carolina native described growing up in the South and rarely seeing snow.

“In South Carolina, it only snows an inch (at a time),” he said. “It’s such a disappointment because you can’t do anything with it, and it melts immediately.”

Lauren Trout and Logan Jones also enjoyed the sudden storm.

“This is the most snow I’ve seen in my entire life,” Jones, a missionary kid from East Africa and India, said. “The last snow I saw was in Texas seven years ago.”

Logan and Trout participated in a snowball fight Sunday afternoon with Dorm 8. Logan said Dorm 8’s resident assistant approved it as long as nobody “started a fight or broke a window.”

“There were probably four different dorms involved,” Logan said. “It was hilarious.”

After growing up in Indonesia, Trout was thrilled to see all the snow.

“I just love playing in it,” she said.

The freak storm only lasted a day, and the weather forecast is expected to be in the 60s throughout the rest of the week, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.