From the desk

“Don’t blink. Just like that, you’re six years old and you take a nap and you wake up and you’re twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife.”

Bollinger

Yes, those are the words of a country song. Kenny Chesney to be exact. No, I am not a country fan, but the words he offered have me thinking.

One month. Thirty-one days. Seven hundred forty-four hours. That is how long I was away from the lovely city of Lynchburg.

As I wove my way back through the traffic that reminded me I was indeed back at Liberty University, I realized how much had happened since I was gone. The trees have lost their leaves, on-campus students have relocated their cars — and main campus parking spots are sold-out — the tunnel from Wards Road is open and the food court in Vines is closed.

As I stood in line — for the third time — attempting to obtain a magic carpool decal, I realized how quickly my time here at Liberty has come and gone, and how much has changed over that time span.

It feels like yesterday I sat in Freshman Seminar — even though I was a transfer student who was cruelly misdirected — and now, here I sit beginning my last semester of my undergraduate degree.

Time flies. Before we know it, we are going to be 80 years old and sitting in a nursing home wondering where our lives went.

In the blink of an eye everything can change.

We spend so much time worrying about the little things. We make little issues into life altering dilemmas.

This semester, what would happen if we decided to not take our time at Liberty for granted? What would happen if we decided to live our lives without worrying about what is going to happen after graduation?

Beginning this semester, that is my goal.

“So I’ve been tryin’ ta slow it down. I’ve been tryin’ ta take it in. In this here today, gone tomorrow world we’re livin’ in,” Chesney continues.

Our lives are not promised. No one guarantees that we even make it to graduation.

“You do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away,” James 4:14.

Think about it.