Warley to play in Pan-American games for U.S.

Liberty University student-athletes rarely receive the opportunity to represent their country by playing basketball on an international level.

Redshirt senior center Avery Warley has been selected as one of the 12 student-athletes to represent the United States by competing in the Pan American Games from Oct. 21-25 in Guadalajara, Mexico. The Pan American Games is a multi-sport competition that is held every four years, usually the year before the Olympics.

“I do feel like it is an honor,” Warley said. “I think the USA will only improve and impact my game.”

Warley is already well-prepared for the experience. In the 2010-11 season, Warley averaged a double-double and led the Big South in field goal percentage. As a result, Warley does not have qualms about playing on an international level.

“I’ve worked really hard,” Warley said. “Definitely going hard every day in practice. I’m just excited.”

“I’m very excited for her,” head coach Carey Green said. “I don’t think that there is a greater honor for a student-athlete, or an athlete period, than to represent the country in competition.”

Warley has plans to do more than represent just the United States with her presence in the Pan American Games.

“God’s blessed her,” Green said. “This is to honor God as a player on the ultimate international level and at the Olympic Pan American Games. She wants to give her very best in honoring Him as well as the USA team, Liberty University, our conference and our basketball team.”

This year, the USA women’s basketball team, comprised of 11 collegiate players and a high school senior, began training camp Oct. 15. According to usabasketball.com, the U.S. women have won the gold medal with a 5-0 record at the 2007 Pan American Games. Overall, they have won 14 gold, four silver and two bronze medals that comprises their 72-12 record.