200th program victory, 57-0

Head over heels — Instead of going through the wall of defenders, Korey Davis decided to go over them. Photo credit: Ruth Bibby

Running game on track, defense rigid

After two straight losses against top 25 opponents, the Flames found themselves 1-3 for the first time since Danny Rocco arrived as head coach.

In both losses, the Flames lost by a field goal’s margin. So, after a disappointing start to the season, Rocco and his staff had a strong goal in mind.

Following the 57-0 demolition of the Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers, it was obvious that the Flames were looking to get back on track heading into conference play.

“I had a plan on how I wanted to substitute in this game and I told the kids all week long I don’t care if it’s 42-0 or 7-0. I’m subbing,” Rocco said.

Rocco believed that a strong running game combined with the efforts of redshirt junior Tyler Brennan and redshirt sophomore Brian Hudson at quarterback could give the team a much needed win.

After a bad snap on a Kentucky Wesleyan punt attempt, the Flames were able to recover the ball inside the 10-yard line, where junior back SirChauncey Holloway was able to punch it in for the first score of the game.

The Panthers were able to keep the game close for a while, but redshirt senior Ervin Garner returned a punt 39 yards to the one yard line, where Holloway rushed for his second touchdown of the game.

The barrage continued immediately after halftime when linebacker Mike Connolly intercepted a pass at the Kentucky Wesleyan 32-yard line. On the next play, Holloway went 32 yards for his fourth touchdown of the game. The run also got Holloway over 100 yards for the first time this season.

“I wanted to get Chauncey over 100. I think he had 94 at half. He had a big carry in the second half that got him over 100,” Rocco said.

Holloway carried the ball 17 times for 126 yards, finding the end zone a career-high four times by the third quarter.

“In the previous games, we didn’t really run the ball but everybody stepped up tonight,” Holloway said.

“The offensive line and the receivers blocked well for me. Everybody did their thing. The whole line did their part and it was perfect up front.”

With the game secure, Brennan threw his first touchdown, to Tommy Shaver, on the next offensive possession. Hudson joined in the scoring, throwing the final two touchdowns, one to Brandon Apon and the other to Julian Poindexter.

Aisle ‘D’

With all of the offensive numbers, it’s easy to forget the defense that shut out the Panthers. It’s the first shutout for the Flames since Oct. 5, 2008, when they shut out Charleston Southern University.

“I think the story of the night was the defense,” Rocco said. “The defense really did play well. They had 38 rushing attempts for eight yards.”

Scott Hyland led the team with five tackles, while Asa Chapman, Chris Mayo and Walt Aikens had four tackles each. Of course, the defensive play of the day was the interception by Kevin Connolly in the third quarter.

“I feel like we’ve played some of the most difficult teams on our schedule so I feel like we’re battle tested,” Connolly said. “I like our odds. We’re right where we need to be. I think we’re still the favorites in the Big South”

All hands on deck

A game plan that scripted heavy substituting saw many players with expanded roles.

“It wasn’t the normal line script,” Rocco said. “It wasn’t the usual cast of characters. It was different guys and that’s always exciting when you have different guys step up.”

Freshman halfback Desmond Rice also played well, carrying the ball seven times for 42 yards.

“There was some look to the future out there tonight,” Rocco said. “(Rice) is a very gifted football player. He is such a change of pace from these guys.”

Three receivers — Apon, Poindexter and Shaver (TE) — caught touchdowns. Shaver racked up the most yards with five receptions for 67 yards.