Record-breaking alumni welcomed to X-country coaching staff

Josh McDougal returns to Liberty to don a whistle rather than spikes

Running home— Graduated cross country sensation Josh McDougal is being welcomed back to the cross country department at Liberty — this time as a teacher.

Earlier this month, Liberty welcomed back one of their most decorated cross-country runners, Josh McDougal, as an assistant cross country and track and field coach. Head coach Brant Tolsma was exuberant about the hire of the 2007 National Champion and said, “ We believe Josh, who himself put Liberty cross country on the map, will be able to help us develop cross country teams that will regularly be able to compete at the NCAA national championship (“Liberty Flames”).”

McDougal was very excited about the opportunity and said it was “a long time dream and goal.” He went on to explain that his position as an assistant distance coach would mean running and facilitating practice, working specifically with men and woman long distance runners, implement training and basically be there to help in any circumstance. In short, McDougal stated that his job was to take the stress off of Coach Tolsma.

It did not take McDougal long to praise Coach Tolsma who he admitted drew him to Liberty and the cross country program. “I remember reading his book in high school and being drawn to the program,” McDougal said,.“When I came down unofficially my junior year and we talked for a long time I knew then that Liberty is where I wanted to be.” He went further by stating Coach Tolsma was a father figure whose spiritual leadership helped hold the team together and continually push the program toward greatness.

Being named an All-American 14 times, being a National Champion, and setting countless amounts of records headlined McDougal’s athletic career here at Liberty. One record that brought him fame was his 5,000 meter time (13:20.43), which was not only his best time but the best collegiate time of all- time, up to that point. McDougal also help lead the Flames to 10 Big South championships along with being named the Big South individual champion an astounding 17 times (“Liberty Flames”).

His impact on the Liberty cross country and track and field team not only came as a player but also as volunteer assistant. During his time as a graduate assistant, McDougal took part in the phenomenal career of Sam Chelenga, who won an outstanding four national championships (“Liberty Flames”). McDougal called Chelenga “the most talented athlete to attend Liberty.”

His own personal achievements, especially being crowned a national champion, do not distract him from being focused on what is truly important: the team. “When I think about my time at Liberty I think of the hard training, I remember traveling to meets with friends, honestly the National Title is something I don’t think about much at all. I think it was the team experience that meant the most to me. If I had to choose between winning a national title and getting the team to nationals, I’d pick getting the team to nationals.”

The journey to the national championship starts for the Liberty Flames and Assistant Coach Josh McDougal Sept. 2 at the Virginia Tech Alumni Invitational.