Leadership was displayed at summer program

ROTC Cadet and Liberty Student Austin Coombs learned to put his skills to the test at Operation Warrior Forge

For most college students, summers are filled with internships, jobs and an occasional vacation. For Liberty University senior Austin Coombs, however, it was a time of leadership testing, as he and other Army ROTC cadets from across the country embarked on Operation Warrior Forge.

In training — Austin Coombs (center, holding flag) practices leadership in personal life, Liberty ROTC program and Army National Guard. Photo provided

The tall, athletic cadet from Wichita Falls, Texas can be recognized by his blond hair, strong build and welcoming smile. But behind his easy-going exterior is a driven individual, eager to step up to leadership roles and responsibility.

“We recruit scholar-athlete-leaders and Cadet Coombs is a poster child for that description,” Maj. Robert Foy, director of Liberty University’s ROTC program, said. “He has a 3.4 GPA in the exceptionally challenging Bio Chemistry arena. He was the captain of the LU Crew team, and regularly scores 280 points or above on the Army Physical Fitness test.”

Accomplishments aside, Coombs and other ROTC cadets were challenged in their leadership abilities this summer at Operation Warrior Forge. The intense assessment tested participants in their performance as they trained to serve their country. Cadets were evaluated during various activities including patrol missions, land navigation, squad tactics and overall leadership skills.

“I can tell you that Austin is a very high performer in our organization,” Foy said. “Additionally, he is articulate and confident, and he brings an infectious optimism and enthusiasm to his duties every day. The bottom line is that Austin is a special young man who will be an outstanding Army leader.”

With all his experience, Coombs is no stranger to military life. As a participant in the Simultaneous Membership Program, he serves in both the Liberty University ROTC program as a Cadet and in the Army National Guard as an E-4 specialist.

His father was a member of the Air Force and Coombs spent much of his childhood participating in the Boy Scouts, eventually earning the highest honor of Eagle Scout. Coombs said his experience and skills eventually led him to join the Army.

“I joined two and a half years ago,” he said. “I was always interested in camping, outdoors, extreme challenges and crazy things, and shooting guns … so it all pointed me in the direction of the Army.”

His time with the Boy Scouts not only prepared him to serve his country but also gave him the skills to exhibit heroism in everyday life.

At age 15, Coombs saved his younger sister as she nearly drowned under a ladder in their family pool, he said.

The harrowing experience earned Coombs the Boy Scouts Heroism Award, which is given to a scout who exhibits life-saving skills without thought of their own personal safety.

“It all happened pretty fast. But I didn’t panic, only reacted to the situation immediately,” Coombs explained. “… I thank both God and the leadership experiences I gained from Boy Scouts that allowed me to calmly react immediately to the dire situation.”

Since his time with the Boy Scouts, Coombs continues to excel as a leader. The future looks bright for this 4th Regiment cadet, who has great hopes for his continuing career in the military.

“I enjoy serving my country in the best way that I can, training to one day be able to defend the beliefs of our great nation,” Coombs said. “And, if need be, lay down my life to preserve freedom.”