Intramural sports open for new season

The beginning of a new semester means many things for a college student. Books must be bought, supplies purchased and class scheduled.

With all the schoolwork and stress of academics, activities are needed to allow students to have an enjoyable college experience.

At Liberty, one of these activities is participating in intramural sports.

Dodgeball, soccer, pool, basketball, softball and now men’s broomball are all available as well as other competitive activities in the spring semester’s intramural season.

“We have over 3,000 students that participate in intramural sports a semester,” intramural offices supervisor Deanna Dewitt said.

“It was appealing because there were several sports I could play, and I was able to make teams with friends, which is very appealing to students.” Liberty student Taylor Taj said.

In order to be eligible for participation, one must simply be a full time student or faculty member and pay the necessary fees at
LaHaye.

Otherwise, these sports are voluntary and intended for the participants’ enjoyment.

“I chose to play intramural sports because I always enjoyed playing sports and wanted to continue to play them competitively as well as have fun,” Taj said.

Intramural sports allow students with busy schedules to still participate in athletics.

“Intramural sports are perfect for students with busy schedules because the commitment level is low,” Liberty student Sean Rose said. “I was also really surprised (by) the intensity involved in these sports, which is something I thrive off of.”

Registration for intramural sports opened Jan. 1, but each sport has its own deadline for involvement.

Deadline that are coming up this week include table tennis and billiards on Jan. 26, and broomball on Jan. 27. These deadlines can be found at www.liberty.
edu/ims.