Congress 2010: Jeff Vanke

What is your stance on health care? Would you support the repeal of the new health care law?

Health insurers should have to compete across state lines.  And they should have to honor contracts, not drop patients after the fact with pre-existing conditions.  I oppose government-run health care.  I support universal access to health insurance.  The new law has way too many regulations so I support partial repeal.

How do you plan to help small businesses succeed?

Keep regulation to a minimum, such as workplace safety.

How do you stand on keeping the Bush tax cuts that are scheduled to end January 2011? Would you support extending the Bush tax cuts beyond January 2010?

I propose variable income tax rates, for a pay-go system.  Every year the budget is in deficit, income tax rates should rise by 1 percent. With a budget surplus, income tax rates should decline by 1 percent.

How do you feel about the new research showing that the recession has been over for some time? How do you plan to help those who are still feeling its effects?

We are barely out of the recession, with weak economic growth, and GDP is still below pre-recession peaks.  To stimulate jobs, I would temporarily waive employment taxes (FICA and unemployment insurance) on the lowest-wage jobs.

How do you use the Constitution in your decision making process? What role should government take in citizens’ lives?

In general, government should allow individual liberties as long as they do not infringe on the liberty of others.  As a former history professor teaching about many countries, I see the U.S. Constitution as awesome, and it is important to adhere to it in decision-making.

Would you support legislation hat would reverse and/or challenge the abortion decision in Roe v. Wade?

Like incumbent Congressman Goodlatte, I am pro-choice for cases of rape, incest and danger of life to the mother.   I extend that position to 20 weeks of gestation.  Like Goodlatte, I oppose federal funding for any abortions of living fetuses except for rape, incest and danger to the mother’s life.  The House of Representatives has little else to do with abortion, but it is where all federal spending bills must originate.

What specific plans do you have to increase employment?

I would temporarily waive employment taxes (FICA and unemployment insurance) on the lowest-wage jobs.

What would you like college students to know about you?

When you graduate, your share of the national debt will be about $100,000.  Not one person in Congress, in either party, has a plan to balance the budget any time soon.  I spent months and drafted one in detail, which takes only four years to balance, as found at www.IndependentJeff.com.  We need a do-over in Congress.