From the desk

So this is it — my last installment of From the Desk, meaning that this is my last edition as Editor in Chief of the Champion.  This, in some respects, is my final farewell, of which I have put off writing for as long as humanly possible.

Part of me wants the next 12 days to hurry up and pass while the louder, more obnoxious part of my being over-analyzes every part of my day. I tend to spend the day thinking that this will be the last time I perform such and such task at such and such time. I even feel nostalgic at convocation services, which causes me to think of Dr. Jerry Falwell Sr. and how the 2010 graduating class — my class — is the last “Jerry Generation.”

I’ve found myself hoping to hear Dr. Falwell’s “Never quit” sermon every time I walk into convo. There are just some days that I need the extra encouragement — mainly because I have caught a severe case of senioritis and have zero motivation to complete any task, regardless of how menial or profound the job. I’m ready to be done with school.

My apathy towards schoolwork and the never-ending self-convincing to finish strong makes the ping-pong ball in my head bounce to another Dr. Falwell memory. I was a freshman, sitting in section 121, and it was a Wednesday, which for those of you who are not familiar with older Liberty customs, Dr. Falwell always spoke on Wednesday – it was like clockwork. And since I made it to my seat, I didn’t get hit by a big, black Denali while crossing from Campus East to the Vines Center— if you don’t know what I mean, ask a senior.

Dr. Falwell used this particular convocation hour to ask students five direct questions.

1.  What is it that you really want to accomplish in your life?

2. What would you try to do if you thought you might succeed?

3. What goals would you set if you knew you could not fail?

4. What price are you willing to pay?

5. What sacrifice are you willing to make?

I scribbled those four questions on a hot-pink sticky note and stuck it in my Bible. I am a dreamer, and I always have been. I have a knack for forming grandiose plans in my mind and even putting my thoughts on paper, which is actually just another sticky note that I’ve stuck to my desk. For the most part, I get what I want in this respect. I am a firm believer that “if it’s Christian, it should be better,” which is probably why I related so much to this particular sermon.

Dr. Falwell’s challenge shaped my life. I asked myself these questions and realized that my biggest dreams could become a reality. After all, Dr. Falwell got his mountain that he “walked every inch of and prayed for.”

Dr. Falwell’s ambition for excellence is a driving force in Liberty’s existence and mission, and it is that same call that has driven me to pursue my dreams. So my challenge — Dr. Falwell’s challenge — is to answer those questions for yourself and never be afraid to pursue your dreams. If God can turn a mountain into a college, think of the possibilities your dreams can hold. Dream big and pray hard.