You were awarded the scholarships for which you were eligible at the time of your acceptance by your international admissions counselor. However, there may be other scholarships for which you qualify at a later time.
- If you earn high enough grades and meet other criteria, you can apply for an honors scholarship during the spring of your freshman year.
- If you are a responsible and mature student with leadership skills, you can apply for a Resident Assistant (RA) or Resident Shepherd position. These both come with scholarships.
- You can apply for athletic scholarships. Please speak to the coach of the sport you are interested in.
There are no full scholarships available to international students.
Looking for an outside scholarship can be very time-consuming. You will have to look through long lists and then fill out applications and wait for a response. However, these scholarships can also be very rewarding and it is worth the effort!
- Outside scholarships can be difficult to find. You can search online, but be careful to never give personal information or to pay money to apply.
- The Student Advocate Office can provide assistance with outside scholarships
Be especially careful when looking for scholarships online as there are frauds. Know what to look for.
A Real Example:
A Liberty student once received a letter and check in the mail from a company, telling him he had “won” a scholarship. He vaguely remembered filling in something online. In order to claim the grand prize of $25,000 he was to cash the check for $2,500 and make a $250 payment to the scholarship company.
When he called the company he spoke to a man who pressured him to send the money. He took the check to the bank and cashed it. He then came to the International Student Center before sending the money to the company. We tried to contact the company on his behalf, but they refused to speak with us.
A few days later, the bank contacted him to say the check was fraudulent and that he had to return to the money. Thankfully he had not spent it or sent it to the company. The company had sent him a fraudulent check hoping that he would send them money and end up owing the bank.