M.S.W. in Advanced Generalist – Individual & Family Clinical
Master of Social Work (MSW) – Advanced Generalist – Individual & Family Clinical
Gain the knowledge and clinical expertise you need to be successful in individual and family clinical practice with the Master’s in Social Work – Individual and Family Clinical Cognate at Liberty University. Get equipped to make a difference in the lives of individuals and families who are seeking help with the challenges they are facing, as you learn about environmental influences on behavior, and the value of self-determination in the helping process.
Study under experienced social work professionals who have a wide range of expertise in areas such as mental health, adoption, child welfare, and clinical practice. Members of the program faculty have served as expert witnesses, on boards of non-profit organizations, and have a heart for vulnerable populations.
The mission of the Liberty University Social Work Master’s Program is to prepare healthy advanced generalist social workers to be servant leaders who follow the example of Christ and will influence the world by enhancing the lives of all individuals, families, and communities through research informed knowledge, values, and skills consistent with the purpose of the profession.
Gain Practical Experience Through Field Placement
You will gain 1,000 hours of hands-on experience performing the duties of a professional social worker through two different field placements. This experience will prepare you to enter the field of social work immediately upon graduation in a wide range of settings. Review the Field Education requirements here!
Academic Information for the MSW Advanced Generalist
60 hours minimum**
Program of Study
Social Work Featured Courses
- SOWK 670: Advanced Generalist Field Experience & Seminar
- SOWK 643: Child and Family Social Work Clinical Practice
- SOWK 641: Advanced Clinical Social Work Practice
- SOWK 650: Diversity & Cultural Humility
Every application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and all applicants must submit the following documents and meet the minimum requirements for admission:
- Admission application
- A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA
- 2 recommender contact information
- 400-word Statement of Purpose:
- In 150 words, complete the following prompt: I desire to earn an MSW from Liberty University because…
- In 150 words, complete the following prompt: I demonstrate a posture of learning and respect in working with diverse individuals, families, and groups by…
- In 100 words, discuss the following prompt: Describe challenges in your life and discuss how you deal with these.
- Department questionnaire
- Department approval
- Self-certification form for students in the final term of their bachelor’s degree
- Current Liberty undergraduate students seeking preliminary acceptance into a graduate program must complete a degree completion application through their ASIST account
**The Social Work Program does not give academic credit for life experiences or previous work experience. The program does recognize the value of previous work and life experience. The program encourages students to integrate the knowledge gained in the classroom with their work and life experience.
Start Your Career in Social Work
Career Opportunities in Individual & Family Clinical Social Work
- Individual and Family Therapist
- Mental Health Therapist
- Clinical Social Worker
- Clinical Social Work Supervisor
- Adoption Social Worker
- Children and Family Social Worker
- Medical Social Worker
- Clinical Director