MEd in School Counseling Intensives
Two intensives are required for the Master of Education in School Counseling program.
See below for information regarding Counseling Theories & Techniques (COSC 505), and Structured Groups (COSC 512).
J Term Intensives – Residential and Online Formats
This 14-16 week course is delivered using an intensive format. Candidates that select the residential intensive will attend 36-40 hours of classroom-based instruction at the Liberty campus in Lynchburg, VA. Candidates that select the online intensive will attend 36-40 hours of synchronous, video-based instruction. In addition to the class time, candidates are expected to complete additional work online both pre and post intensive over the duration of the term.
See general intensives schedule below. For specific dates for each semester, see ASIST.
- Fall: 8:30am-4:30pm Monday-Friday
- Spring: 8:30am-4:30pm Monday-Friday
- Summer: June and July. 8:30am-4:30pm Monday-Friday
School Counseling online candidates are required to complete three full semesters of clinical experience including practicum, Internship I, and Internship II with a weekly class meeting component. In addition to the weekly class time, candidates are expected to complete additional work online over the duration of the term. The candidate will be provided a meeting time prior to the first week of class, and the instructor will go over the details of the class structure, which will include candidate presentations and case analysis.
A Term Weekly Synchronous Online Format (COSC 505, COSC 512, COSC 698, and COSC 699)
This 14-16 week course is delivered using a video-based classroom format. Candidates attend 2 hours of synchronous online instruction each week. In addition to the weekly class time, candidates are expected to complete additional work online over the duration of the term.
Textbooks are available on MBS Direct:
- Go to www.MBSDirect.net/Liberty
- Choose Buy Books.
- Choose correct payment options.
- Choose the term for which you’re enrolled.
- Click only the Intensives box.
- Scroll down to COSC to locate your course.
Attendance is required using both audio and video for all intensive and synchronous courses for the full five days or each weekly class meeting. This policy is non-negotiable.
- A class presentation is required in each course (either individual or group). This gives us the opportunity to see your counseling skills. Please be aware that professional dress is expected for this presentation.
- Demonstration of technology.
Please see your course guide and syllabus.