Continuance Gate Information
The Continuance Gate submission process is necessary to set up the cohort-based sequence of study that dictates the final two years of your Cinematic Arts program. It is a two-part process involving 1) a Continuance Gate Submission Form and 2) an interview with two qualified Cinematic Arts department members.
As an LU student, you qualify to complete the Continuance Gate when you meet these requirements:
- You have declared your major of study as Film Production and Content Development. The online submission form link will work after you have completed your Change of Major as necessary.
- You are on track to complete your general education courses before the fall semester of the year you are requesting to enter a cohort, including the religion courses required in any degree from Liberty University.
- You are on track to complete CINE 101 and your core prerequisites (CINE 201, 202 & 203) before the fall semester of the year you are requesting to enter a cohort.
- You are in good academic standing with a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
Prior experience in film and television is not required.
Submission Form Requirements
In preparation of your Continuance Gate submission, you must prepare the following elements:
- Complete the Personal Information and Interest in Filmmaking page.
- Write a 1,000-word essay telling us your original idea for an independent film. In the film industry, this is known as a “pitch”. A pitch usually conveys two senses, sight, and sound, because this is how audiences watch movies. It doesn’t have to fit a particular beat sheet or formal format, and it will not be assessed. Just tell us a story. Note: we do not accept pitches in any other medium besides the 1,000-word essay. Do not send us DVDs, video files, or weblinks.
- Include one letter of reference from a Liberty University faculty/staff member or a Liberty RA. If transferring, a reference letter from a faculty or staff member of another college/university is acceptable.
- For transfer students only: In addition to the above, please send in your unofficial transcripts from any university/college that you have attended other than Liberty to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have fulfilled the above checklists, you are ready to complete your Continuance Gate Submission Form.
- Go to the Continuance Gate Portal. The portal opens each fall beginning September 1 and continues into the spring semester until all seats are filled.
- Fill out all applicable fields of data.
- Upload your three prepared documents. Do not submit anything different or in addition to the required documents (listed in the checklist above).
- Once these steps are completed, schedule your interview from the drop-down menu provided. Note that interviews will take place in the Cinematic Arts Main Offices, Green Hall room 1892.
- Click Submit to send your submission form to us for review. Submissions will be reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Your interview provides an introduction to our cohort model and what it involves. It is your opportunity to ask questions and commit to your responsibilities in a collaborative learning model.
These responsibilities include:
- Acknowledging that some of your grades are affected by your class group’s efforts.
- Participating in class activities and contributing to team efforts toward assignment completion.
- Acknowledging the investment of time necessary to succeed in the program. For this reason, working paid jobs during your junior and senior school years is not advisable.
- Achieving technology competence in order to keep up with your cohort.
- Securing transportation for yourself to off-campus locations in order to fulfill class requirements. You will not be compensated for transportation.
- Funding the budgets for your film projects. This can be as little as a few hundred dollars to whatever limits you self-impose.
- Paying $1,000 annually in course fees (for junior and senior years). These fees cover the purchase of a grip bag, raid drive, iPad, and other equipment necessary while in the program.
Email us at email@example.com or call us at 434-592-6200.
Questions about financial aid, awards, and scholarships can be directed to Liberty University’s Financial Aid Office at (888)583-5704 (toll-free) or 434-582-2270. The Cinematic Arts Department does not offer scholarships.