Dr. Jaeshil Kim
Associate Professor of Modern Languages
- Ph.D., Linguistics, University of California-Irvine
- M.A., Linguistics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- B.A., English Language and Literature, Chungnam National University-Korea
- Syntax-Semantics interface of nominal structures
- Syntax of numerals and classifiers
- The relation between language change and language acquisition
- First and Second language acquisition of articles and plural marking
- Plural Marking in Classifier Languages. Saarbrüken: VDM Verlag, 2009. “The Parameterization of Plural Markings in Classifier Languages.” Emily Tummons and Stephanie Lux (eds.), Proceedings of the 2007 Mid-America Linguistics Conference, Kansas Working Papers in Linguistics Vol. 30., 2008
- “The Double Lives of Classifiers.” The 2016 Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL) Colloquia Series, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, July 2016.
- “A Comparative Study of Differential Plural Markings in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.” The International Linguistics Association 60th Annual Conference, Teachers College, Columbia University, NY, April 2015.
- “Kids Say the Darnedest Things”: A Nativist Snapshot of Children’s Language Acquisition.” 2012 Virginia Humanities Conference, Roanoke College, Salem, VA, March 2012.
- “A Micro-Parametric Approach to Plural Marking in Classifier Languages.” The 56th Annual Conference of the International Linguistics Association (ILA), Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, April 2011.
- “Definiteness and Specificity in Classifier Languages.” The 40th Michigan Linguistics Society (MLS) Annual Meeting, University of Michigan, Flint, MI, October 2010.
- “A Micro-typology of Plural Marking in Classifier Languages.” Invited colloquium talk, Payap University, Chiang Mai, Thailand, July 2010.
- “Plurality Splits Revisited: Plural Marking in Classifier Languages and Early African American English Varieties.” The 55th Annual Conference of the International Linguistics Association (ILA), New Paltz, NY, April 2010.
- “Korean Plural Marking (In Comparison With Chinese and Japanese Plural Markers)”, The 13th Harvard International Symposium on Korean Linguistics (The Harvard ISOKL), Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, August 2009.
- “When Pragmatics Wins Over Syntax: Prosodic Underlining in a Berber Joke.” With Clive McClelland. The 37th North American Conference on Afroasiatic Linguistics (NACAL), Albuquerque, NM, March 2009
- “Plural markings in classifier languages.” The 2008 UNC-CH Linguistics Colloquium, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, April 2008.
- “The Parameterization of Plural Markings in Classifier Languages.” 2007 Mid-American Linguistics Conference (MALC), University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, October 2007.
- “Little but Multi-functional Words: Classifiers” Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and Linguistics (GURT). With Kean, Mary-Louise. Georgetown University, Washington, DC, March 2007.
- Invited Lecturer at SIL, University of North Dakota, ND (2012, 2016)
- Faculty Advisor for Logos Linguistics Society, Liberty University
- Faculty Advisor for Nations United Club, Liberty University
- Senior Advisor of English Education at Bridge Builders Global