Dr. David Towles
Professor of Spanish
- Ed.D. in Curriculum & Instruction, Virginia Tech
- M.A. in Spanish, California State University, Sacramento
- B.A. in Spanish/English, Tarleton State
David Towles has been teaching at Liberty for over 40 years. Initially, he taught English 100, 101, and 102 exclusively. Once the languages program began, he taught a combination of English and Spanish courses until he attained a full load of Spanish. He also served as Department Chair.
In 1998, Dr. Towles founded the Liberty University Spanish Institute, a program designed to help students obtain on-the-field instruction in Spanish. The centerpiece of this program is a yearly two-month summer stay in Guatemala, where students take intensive Spanish courses while using their Spanish primarily for ministry and evangelism.
Dr. Towles has a dual focus on electronic media within the classroom and evangelism beyond it.
- SPAN 101 – Elementary Spanish I
- SPAN 102 – Elementary Spanish II
- SPAN 201 – Intermediate Spanish I
- SPAN 202 – Intermediate Spanish II
- SPAN 301 – Grammar & Composition
- SPAN 302 – Composition & Conversation
- SPAN 304 – Latin American Culture & Civilization
- SPAN 321 – Peninsular Literature
- SPAN 322 – Hispanic Literature
- SPAN 323 – Latin American Literature
- SPAN 450 – Capstone course
Scholarly Interests/Current Research
- Language instruction in the electronic classroom: currently conducting a comparative study between an electronic classroom and a traditional classroom.
- Has written three eBooks for use in teaching Intermediate Spanish II, the paradigm of text-based language instruction. One features readings from the Spanish Bible, another features Latin American short stories, and the third features a combination of Bible readings and Latin American short stories.
- Director, Liberty University Modern Languages Committee (1980-2012)
- Creator, Liberty University Modern Languages program (1980-present)
- Director, Liberty University Spanish program (1980-present)
- Self-Study, Steering Committee (1985, 1995)
- Creator, Liberty University Spanish Institute (1999-present)
- Each year served one or more times as member or leader of an evangelistic trip to Guatemala, Hope of Life International (2000-2013)
- Under the auspices of Liberty University Spanish Institute, led leaders of Liberty University academic programs in trips designed to help the poor of Guatemala while also providing hands-on learning opportunities for our students, specifically in connection with the hospital that Hope of Life has recently constructed in Guatemala, Hope of Life International (2011-2013)