New London Day
Explore Local Lynchburg History
Join Friends of New London and Liberty University on October 17, 2020 (10 a.m.-3 p.m.) for New London Day, featuring the preservation and restoration of Mead’s Tavern and the old Bedford Alum Springs Hotel.
Your starting point for New London Day is Mead’s Tavern, 594 Alum Springs Rd.
- Learn about the ongoing architectural study and restoration on a tour of Mead’s Tavern directed by Liberty University students in period attire
- View an expanded exhibit of archaeological artifacts
- Visit the old Bedford Alum Springs Hotel property and learn about its history dating back to the Revolutionary Era
- See the active archaeological survey currently underway
- Visit the historic African American Church, built on the site of a church that predates the Civil War
- Visit the camp of the Montgomery County Militia featuring Revolutionary-era reenactors.
- Experience a live artillery demonstration near the live archaeology site. Demonstrations are scheduled at 11am, 1pm, and 2pm.
- Attend a local history forum featuring an expanded World Wars exhibit.
Other events include a petting zoo, food vendors, and live music.
All activities are free of charge.
COVID-19 Safety Measures
All events and activities will be conducted in accordance with Liberty University’s Campus Operating Plan. Social distancing guidelines will be followed and masks will be required for indoor activities. For more information visit the COVID-19 Response page.