Honors Director and Quiz Bowl Coach
Professor of English
- D.A. in English, University of Mississippi
- M.Ed. in Educational Psychology & Gifted Education, University of Virginia
- M.A. in English, Marshall University
- B.A. in English, Tennessee Temple University
Dr. Nutter serves as the Honors Director and Quiz Bowl coach for the Honors Program and is also a full professor in the English Department, where he teaches Honors English courses and upper-division courses in American literature as well as the Senior Honors Thesis. He has been a professor at Liberty since 1985 and Honors Director since 1995. His wife Laurie taught at Liberty for 30 years until recently retiring. Outside of the classroom, Dr. Nutter enjoys riding his Jeep to LU sporting events and teaching Sunday school at Gospel Community Church Rivermont and cooking breakfast for their men’s ministry.
- The Modern Novel
- Senior Honors Thesis
- Special Topics: James Fenimore Cooper
- Directed Research: The Novel
- American Novel
- The American Renaissance
- Early American Literature
- English Novel
- American Literature I and II—Honors
- Composition and Literature—Honors
- MLA Refresher Course (with Dr. Emily Heady). Faculty Workshop. (Aug. 2007).
- Meeting the Needs of Upper-Division Honors Program Students. Faculty Workshop (Aug. 2004).
- Differentiating Instruction for Honors Students. Faculty Workshop (Aug. 2003).
- Achieving the Proper Balance between Academic Communities and Spiritual & Social Communities. Alpha Lambda Delta (2009).
- Writing Effective Letters of Recommendation: A Panel Discussion. Center for Teaching Excellence (2011).
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers (2006, 2005, 2004, 2002).
- Teacher of the Year, by the Liberty chapter of Sigma Tau Delta (2005).
- Teaching with Technology Boot Camp certificate (2011).