The ROTC began when President Wilson signed the National Defense Act of 1916. Although military training took place in civilian colleges and universities as early as 1819, the signing of the National Defense Act brought this training under a single, federally controlled entity - the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC).
Founded in 1979 in cooperation with Lynchburg College in Lynchburg, Va., the Liberty University Eagle Battalion began with five cadets and two cadre members. After disbanding in 1984, the Eagle Battalion was reestablished in 2001 as a partnership school with University of Virginia’s Cavalier Battalion based out of Charlottesville, Va.
In 2013, Liberty University's Eagle Battalion and UVA's Cavalier Battalion were both renamed Task Force Blue Ridge to signify the unity of the ROTC programs between the two schools.