VA Benefits - Chapter 35

Pay Rates          FAQ
Training Times Form Deadlines
Deferred Payment Plan Option Policies

Benefit Guide

Step 1: Complete Veterans Affairs paperwork

Go to the VONAPP website and fill out the appropriate form (see below).

22-5490 - Use if you are applying for benefits for the first time.

22-5495 - Use if you have used your benefits at another institution and would like to transfer to Liberty University as your primary institution or if it has been over a year since last certification.  You will also need to use this form if you are changing the degree level you are pursuing.

Step 2: Print a copy of the completed Veterans Affairs paperwork.

Once you fill out the online form and submit it to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, you will need to print a copy of the completed VA form and sent it to us so we will have it on file. To verify you have successfully submitted your form to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, a confirmation number will appear on the bottom of each page of the form you print out to send to us.

Instructions to print a completed VA form on VONAPP
(These step-by-step instructions are only for printing a completed form and are not intended to guide a student through the actual application process)

  1. Go to the VONAPP website
  2. Click "I Have Used VONAPP Before"
  3. Click “VONAPP Account”
  4. Enter Login information & click “Continue”
  5. Under the "Completed Forms" section click the "Print" button next to the form you need to print.
  6. Send a copy of the completed form to Liberty University's Office of Military Affairs.

Step 3: Contact your academic advisor to discuss registration and complete financial check-in

Please remember that you will need to make payment arrangements in the financial check-in process. Students eligible for VA benefits will receive their entitlement directly from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs after the school term activates.

The military payment plan is now available through Financial Check-in. For more information, click here.

Step 4: Liberty will certify enrollment to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Once we receive all required documentation and you have enrolled in courses, the Office of Military Affairs will submit an enrollment certification (22-1999) to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This process takes 3-5* business days. Once completed, you will receive email confirmation indicating the dates reported and current U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs processing times. The average processing time is 6 weeks.

*Certification time-frame increases during peak enrollment periods.  During these periods, please allow up to 7-10 business days for certifying.

Step 5: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will process certification & issue payment

Certification will be processed in approximately 4-8 weeks. Monthly checks will be issued at the beginning of each month for the previous month.

Note: The Government will only pay for courses that are relevant to the degree the student is enrolled in.

Step 6: Review our Policies page

Please review our Policies page. This page includes policies on Withdrawal, Advanced Pay, Remedial Courses and more.