VA Benefits — Chapter 33: Post 9-11 GI Bill®

The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

Check List FAQ
PACCT Contract Form Deadlines
Training Times Policies
Pay Rates  

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

GI Bill Comparison Tool

The VA has released a new GI Bill® Comparison Tool for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This new tool makes it easy to estimate Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits with just one click. Students can find their estimated tuition and fee amounts and their projected housing allowance based on eligibility. 

Benefit Guide

Use the Post 9/11 GI Bill checklist to help guide you through the initial steps to utilize your benefits.

You will need to submit a copy of the VONAPP even if you have already received your Certificate of Eligibility. Our office will need the VONAPP along with the PACCT Contract and Certificate of Eligibility in order to certify any courses with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Step 1. Complete or Submit paperwork

A. Complete Veterans Affairs Paperwork

Go to the VONAPP website and fill out the appropriate form (see below). Once you fill out the online form and submit it, you will need to print a copy and send it to us so we will have it on file. To verify you have successfully submitted your form, a confirmation number will appear on the bottom of each page of the form you print out to send us. If you are sending us a 22-1995, be sure to indicate the VA Chapter of benefits you are using (i.e. Chap. 33, Ch. 1606, etc…).

22-1990 - Use if you are applying for the Post 9/11 GI Bill for the first time.

22-1995 - Use if you have used your benefits at another institution and would like to transfer to Liberty University as your primary institution or if it has been over a year since last certification.  You will also need to use this form if you are changing the degree level you are pursuing.

22-1990e – Use if you are a dependent (child, or spouse as defined in 1 U.S.C. § 7) applying to use a service members benefits (see What is the process to transfer the Post 9/11 GI Bill to a dependent?)

Instructions to print a completed Veterans Affairs form on VONAPP

(These step by step instructions are only for printing a completed form and are not intended to guide a student through the actual application process.)

  • Go to the VONAPP website
  • Click "I Have Used VONAPP Before"
  • Click “VONAPP Account”
  • Enter Login information & click “Continue”
  • Under the "Completed Forms" section click the "Print" button next to the form you need to print.
  • Send a copy of the completed form to Liberty University's Office of Military Affairs.
  • Email:
  • Fax: (434) 455-1287

B. Submit copy of COE or Award Letter

Once you have submitted your copy of the VONAPP, you must also submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the Office of Military Affairs. We can certify a student's courses for up to two semesters before needing the COE.  Be sure you include the pages that show your percentage and months of eligibility.

Step 2. Complete and send us the Post 9/11 GI Bill Account Credit Contract (PACCT)

Note: We must have the VONAPP (i.e. 22-1990, 22-1995) on file in addition to the PACCT before we can process your benefits. Submitting the PACCT alone will not allow us to process your benefits.

Step 3. The Office of Military Affairs posts a credit on your Student Account

Once we receive your PACCT and you have enrolled in courses, the Office of Military Affairs will post a projected credit on your student account to match the amount to be covered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs within 3-5* business days. An e-mail confirmation will be sent to your Liberty University email address when this credit is posted.

*Processing time-frame increases during peak enrollment periods.  During these periods, please allow up to 7-10 business days for processing.

Step 4. We submit the enrollment certification (22-1999) to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

The Office of Military Affairs will submit the enrollment certification (VA Form 22-1999) to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs once we have received your Veterans Affairs form/COE and the completed PACCT.

Step 5. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs processes enrollment certification and releases funds

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will process our enrollment certification and will release funds for your tuition and fees to Liberty University.

Once Liberty University receives the funds for your tuition and fees from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, we will fully authorize the projected credit on your student account.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will also release the funds for the books and the living stipend (BAH), if the student is eligible. The books stipend and BAH are paid directly to you based on the information given to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (i.e. address or bank information on VONAPP or application form).

You can check the status of your benefits online.  See our Frequently Asked Question: Can I check the status of my benefits online? for more information.

Step 6. Review Important Information & FAQ page for Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Includes information about the Books and Supplies Stipend, BAH, Financial Check-in and more.

Step 7. Review our Policies page

Please review our Policies page. This page includes policies on Withdrawal, Advanced Pay, Remedial Courses and more.