Army (Active Duty, Reserve & National Guard) Tuition Assistance

Eligibility Requirements

How to Enroll (GoArmyEd)

Applying for State TA (Virginia Army National Guard)

Eligibility Requirements

Important Update: GoArmyEd Course Planner

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit offered to service members to assist with the cost of tuition. TA typically covers up to $250 per credit hour with a fiscal year cap of $4,000. Combined with Liberty University’s military tuition discount for undergraduate students ($250 per credit hour) and graduate students ($275 per credit hour), Tuition Assistance may cover up to 100% of tuition for students who qualify.

Courses must be requested on the GoArmyEd portal within 60 days of the start of the term to secure funding. Funding requests made after the start of the course will not be approved.

See our Liberty University Military Benefits page for more information.

Additional Eligibility Requirements as of:

1 October 2014:

  • All courses that begin after 1 October 2014 must be requested through GoArmyEd prior to the start date of the course. If funding has not been approved before the course start date, any subsequent funding requests submitted by the student will be processed as student-funded.

1 January 2014:

  • Soldiers will not be eligible to use TA until successfully completing one year after graduating Advanced Individual Training (AIT), Officer Candidate School (OCS) or Basic Officer Leaders Course (BOLC).
  • Students will be restricted to 16 credit hours per year.
  • Soldiers are limited to 130 credit hours to complete a Bachelor’s Degree and 39 credit hours to complete a Master’s Degree.
  • Soldiers cannot use TA for a second higher level degree until completion of 10 years of service.
    • This requirement does not apply if TA did not pay for any portion of the student's undergraduate degree.
  • Soldiers cannot be funded for a second equivalent degree (i.e. no second Bachelor’s or Master’s degree).
  • All Courses must be part of an approved degree plan.
  • TA cannot be used for professional degrees (i.e. PhD, MD, JD).
  • The policy for not allowing TA for Soldiers who are flagged for APFT/Height/Weight will continue.
  • Read student questions and answers related to the new policy changes.

Note: Liberty University does not determine eligibility for Tuition Assistance. The above noted items were received from the U.S. Army. Please contact your ESO to determine your full eligibility requirements.

Are you a new or prospective student? Check out our GoArmyEd Admissions page for more information on setting up your GoArmyEd account and using GoArmyEd Tuition Assistance.

Back to top

Go Army Ed

How to Enroll

Step 1 - Contact your academic advisor 

Your academic advisor will review your account to confirm academic and financial standing and help you in course selection. You can contact an Academic Advisor by calling (800) 424-9595 or by emailing

*Please be aware that an advisor cannot register you for courses over the phone as you must enroll through the GAE portal.

Step 2 - Complete Registration on GoArmyEd Portal

  1. Go to and log onto the portal.
  2. Select "Request TA."
  3. Under “School” select ‘Liberty University’ (if it is not automatically selected for you).
  4. Under “Subject” place the subject code in the box (i.e. MATH, ENGL, BIBL, etc).
  5. Under “Catalog Number” enter the three digit number for the course (i.e. ‘101’ for ENGL 101 or ‘220’ for GOVT 220).

-If you are having difficulty finding a course, try leaving the “Catalog Number” field blank.

  1. Under “Start Date Between” enter the date span that will include the start date of your course.
  2. Select “Next”. (You do not need to put in a course number - leave this blank). 
  3. Choose the course you want to enroll in by selecting “Request Class.”
  4. Select “Process Request.” 

-Once your GoArmyEd registration has been processed and your TA is approved, electronic authorization will be sent to Liberty allowing payment to be made to the school for your tuition.

-Once your GoArmyEd registration has been completed, please wait for email confirmation before proceeding to Financial Check-In.

Please note the deadlines for GoArmyEd Registration below. All TA must be approved prior to the GoArmyEd registration deadline.

Step 3 - Complete Financial Check-In

Financial Check-In is the final step that completes the online registration process. Once you have successfully completed Financial Check-In, the online registration process is complete. 

Note: Please do not complete Financial Check-In until you receive a confirmation email indicating your TA has been processed.

To complete Financial Check-In:

  • Go to
  • Click My LU Sign In
  • Click ASIST (under My Access)
  • Click Student
  • Click Financial Check-In

GoArmyEd Deadlines 

Back to top

Applying for State Tuition Assistance (Virginia Army National Guard)

Important Update for Summer 2015:

Per the State Tuition Assistance Manager at Fort Pickett, the $350 book stipend will not be available for the Summer 2015 semester, due to budget constraints. Additionally, State TA will only be available for undergraduate level courses for the Summer 2015 semester as well.


How to Apply

Step 1: Apply for State TA.

To request State TA, Virginia Army National Guard soldiers must go to the Virginia National Guard website. Click link to "Request State Tuition Assistance Online."

  • Deadline for Fall semester: 1-Jul
  • Deadline for Spring semester: 1-Nov
  • Deadline for Summer semester: 1-Apr

Step 2: The Education Service Office (ESO) at Ft. Pickett will send the Office of Military Affairs a TA Roster for the semester.

  • If you applied late or were not on the original roster sent to Liberty University for the semester, Ft. Pickett will send us an update.
  • Please note: Ft. Pickett might send you a copy of your approved TA form but we have been advised by Ft. Pickett not to accept them. We must wait for an update sent from Ft. Pickett.
  • The Office of Military Affairs will post the TA to your student account and send you an email to your Liberty University email address.
    • The Office of Military Affairs will post the authorized amount of TA to your student account minus any scholarships.

Back to top