Policies for Liberty University Online Military Students

Students and their families should be educated and aware of basic financial information. This includes knowing how your Liberty University benefits, Veterans benefits,  and Tuition Assistance works and how they can affect your budgeting and financial planning.

Any scholarship, voucher, grant, benefit, or other assistance, funded by or facilitated at the discretion of Liberty University that is made available to spouses of military service members or veterans due to their   status as such, will only be available to “spouses” as defined by Liberty University as a husband or wife of a service member who together are in state-sanctioned marriage and are natural-born members of the opposite sex.

  • Military Book Voucher

Liberty University given book vouchers are only given to military students enrolled under an online undergraduate degree. The amounts awarded for the book voucher are $100 for every 3 credit hours up to $400 per semester.  The Military Book Voucher can only be used at MBSDirect for online courses. If a student is enrolled in a resident course they will not receive a Military Book Voucher for that course. 

The Military Book Voucher can only be used for students enrolled at the undergraduate level.  (Example, if you are a graduate student who is taking an undergraduate prerequisite you would not receive a Military Book Voucher because you are enrolled under a graduate program.)

  • Military Tuition Discount

Tuition discounts are awarded to online students who are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces or have been honorably/generally discharged from the military. Liberty University also offers tuition discounts to current Department of Defense employees. Spouses of military service members and veterans (who have a honorable or general discharge) are eligible to receive the tuition discount, however their children are not.

Please go to our Liberty Military Benefits page to view acceptable documentation for awarding military benefits.

  • Military Withdrawals

Withdrawals due to military service will be reviewed on a case by case basis by Liberty University's Office of Military Affairs.

  • Remedial Courses

Per the VA Certifying Official Handbook, page 47, Remedial and deficiency courses offered as independent study (online) cannot be approved and cannot be certified to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.  Remedial and deficiency courses are courses designed to correct deficiencies in basic mathematics, English, and reading at the elementary or secondary level. These courses can be certified as part of an approved program, but only for students for whom a verifiable need has been established AND are taking the course residentially.

The remedial course policy was clarified to Liberty University in a recent U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Audit. The clarification states that No remedial courses (Online) can be paid for by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. For Liberty University, this includes the following courses, ENGL 100 / MATH 100 / MATH 110 / All courses with the course prefix CLST.

“Remedial and deficiency courses offered as independent study (online) cannot be approved and cannot be certified to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.” The only remedial courses that will be paid are those taken residentially. If a student takes one of these courses at Liberty University residentially we can certify that class. 

Additionally, courses GRST 500 and GRST 501 are not paid by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. These courses are fee based courses, not charged to every student. These courses may be required for a student to complete due to student’s GPA.

  • Changing Courses/Enrollment

Once classes are certified by Liberty University to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, any changes in enrollment will result in the student going into debt management with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and their benefits being stopped until such a time where the debt is reconciled.

  • Withdrawal

A withdrawal is processed when a student begins a course but cannot continue attending and requests to be withdrawn from the course. The deadline for withdrawing is the last day of the term for Liberty University Online students and is approximately 30 days before the end of the term for a Resident student. A student who withdraws will be assigned a non-punitive grade of “W” for the course. Since drops and withdrawals do not contribute towards the GPA, typically the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will only pay for the time the student is enrolled (up to date of withdrawal).

The withdrawal date, in accordance with Federal guidelines, is recognized as the date the student notifies Liberty University of the intent to withdraw, either in writing or orally.

  • Grades of 'FN'

Official University Definition: Students who begin attendance, but then cease progressing toward the completion of the course will be assigned a grade of FN. If the student receives all FN's in a sub-term, the student will be subject to the Unofficial Withdrawal Procedure which includes the reduction and/or return of all financial aid.

An FN is an unofficial withdrawal due to non-attendance. In order to receive an FN, the student must have logged into the class and not attended for a specified amount of days. A student attends by logging into their class and submitting assignments.

The last date of attendance is reported to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as the withdrawal date. When a student receives a grade of FN, it must be reported to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as a punitive grade. A punitive grade is a grade that does not count as earned credit, but is used in determining a student’s progress toward graduation requirements. Since drops and withdrawals do not contribute towards the GPA, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will only pay for the time the student is enrolled (up to date of withdrawal). For more information about payments for grades of FN, please contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, as it is ultimately their policy on how they pay.

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress

Veterans Affairs Education Benefits will not be affected due to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) until the student is placed on Academic Suspension or Dismissal. Students who go on Academic Suspension must complete an Academic Contract per University policy in order to continue registering for courses and have courses certified for VA Benefits. Students who are on Academic Dismissal cannot register for courses; as a result, no VA Certifications can be completed. A student’s GPA has no effect on VA Benefits. For more information on SAP, please go to the Financial Aid Policies web page.

  • Tuition Assistance & Veterans Benefits

Per the 2014 Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding, federal Tuition Assistance and Veterans Affairs benefits can only be used for the same course if the Tuition Assistance (TA) funding does not pay the total amount of tuition. GI Bill® funding can only be used to pay the remaining balance between the amount of funding from Tuition Assistance and 100% of the tuition charged by the university. Online military students at Liberty University receive a discounted tuition rate that reduces the tuition rate to the $250 per credit hour, which is equal to the Tuition Assistance per credit hour rate. As a result, Tuition Assistance funding pays 100% of the tuition, so GI Bill funding is not required. The only exception to this is the U.S. Coast Guard, which will fund 75% of the students per credit hour rate up to a maximum of $250 per credit hour.

Service members who qualify may use GI Bill benefits concurrently with federal Tuition Assistance through the Top Up option. The Top-Up policy defined below may only be used by the Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill. The Top Up option enables active duty service members and certain reservists to receive from the VA those tuition costs that exceed or are not authorized in the amount of TA provided to the service member by his or her military branch. The concurrent use of GI Bill benefits and TA will not exceed 100 percent of the actual costs of tuition.

If a student will not be receiving any TA for a specific course, and they wish to utilize full Veterans Affairs benefits, they will need to email to request an enrollment certification for their course(s). If the Office of Military Affairs does not receive a request, we will assume Tuition Assistance is being used for that course. Students should keep in mind that Active Duty students and their spouses are not eligible to receive BAH from their GI Bill benefits.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

  • WAVE Verification

If a student is receiving chapters 30, 1606 or 1607 veterans benefits, they will use the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call the toll free Interactive Voice Response telephone line at (877) VA-ECERT (877-823-2378) to verify their attendance. If the student is receiving Post-9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33), DEA (Ch. 35) or VEAP (Ch. 32) benefits, they don't need to verify their attendance.

NOTE: The WAVE and IVR systems do not update account information instantly. Instead, verifications and other submissions are stored and processed manually.
If WAVE does not reflect the student’s current enrollment status, it is most likely because the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has not processed the current enrollment certification (VA Form 22-1999). The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is often overwhelmed with enrollments each semester and it takes at least 8-12 weeks to process everyone's enrollments and changes.

  • Tuition Assistance does not pay for fees unless a base education office or branch service portal specifies on a TA authorization form or request that they are willing to do so.
  • Students utilizing Tuition Assistance will no longer receive an extended financial check in option. For students using military Tuition Assistance, the Financial Check-In deadline is based on their last term of enrollment. However, if a student is in multiple subterms they must secure funding for the first sub term they are enrolled in order to not be dropped from their courses.
  • Students will be recouped for grades that are not deemed successful. The following grades are acceptable and will not be recouped:
    • Undergraduate: C grade or higher
    • Graduate: B grade or higher (- and + will be treated as just a letter grade).
  • Liberty University is proud to serve those that serve and protect our nation. When you are faced with a military deployment or unexpected duty, we have a process in place to assist you. If you find that your duty may have an impact on your academic progress, it is important that you contact us as soon as possible so that we may help you through this process, both before and after your deployment.
  • Iowa Students Only: Upon receipt of official* military documentation from the State or Federal Government, the Office of Military Affairs will work with all applicable departments within Liberty University to ensure that when the service member or their spouse withdraws they will receive a waiver of tuition and mandatory fees. A waiver of tuition and fees means that Liberty University will credit the students account with the applicable credits constituting a $0 balance for tuition and fees. Any funds received from an outside military source will be refunded directly to that source.** Upon returning from military duty the service member or spouse will be readmitted into Liberty University with no financial penalty.

    If a service member or spouse finds that their duty may have an impact on their academic progress, it is important that they contact us as soon as possible so that we can help them through this process, both before and after their deployment.

    *Official military documentation can be military orders, memo from the service member’s command or Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders. Any sensitive information can be omitted before submitting to Liberty University.

    **Military Tuition Assistance and the Department of Veterans Affairs have separate policies regarding military withdrawals and refunds. Liberty University currently refunds government issued military benefits based upon the protocols established by each benefit. For an in-depth explanation of how this will affect your account personally, please contact the Office of Military Affairs at
  • Army students who request Tuition Assistance though the GoArmyEd portal must always request TA through the portal before contacting an academic advisor to register for courses. The exceptions to this rule are students who are taking intensives, internships or residential courses. If a student is taking any one of those three courses, then they must register for courses before requesting TA through the GoArmyEd portal.
  • If a student uses the GoArmyEd portal for their Tuition Assistance, they will need to withdraw from their course on the GoArmyEd portal. Their withdrawal will then automatically be sent to Liberty University, and we will process their request. If they do not request a withdrawal through the GoArmyEd portal first, then their withdrawal will not be processed and they will either be assigned a grade of FN or F; both of which will affect a student's GPA.