Heroes Fund Scholarship: Application Process
If you believe you meet the eligibility requirements, please submit a Heroes Fund Scholarship Application along with all of the required supporting documents.
Please keep in mind, it is the veteran’s responsibility to provide documents verifying an onset, initial injury of condition, illness, or injury as having a combat-related onset.
General Document Requirements:
All students wishing to apply for the Heroes Fund Scholarship are required to submit the below documentation.
- HFS Application.
- Recipient SOP – send both pages of signed HFS Recipient SOP.
- Essay: 750-1000 words on the topic “What degree do you plan to pursue? How will this degree impact your future?” The essay is to be double spaced and typed in Times New Roman, 12 point font.
- DD214, Member 4 copy showing character of service, Certificate of Discharge/Retirement, and/or copy of military discharge orders.
- Photo ID (no military ID cards accepted).
- Certificate of Eligibility of VA benefits and/or VA letter stating benefits have been exhausted. This includes VA letter transferring Chapter 33 GI Bill® benefits to dependent(s).
- All students applying for the HFS are also required to apply for GI Bill benefits under Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation).
- Please submit a copy of your Department of Veterans Affairs form 22-1900 (Chapter 31 application) and/or any VA letters verifying your Chapter 31 application status (i.e. denial letter and why denied, COE approving, etc…).
- This includes students currently using other GI Bill benefits for their education and/or who may have transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to a family member.
- Proof of FAFSA for the current school year.
- Every HFS recipient must apply for any eligible Financial Aid by completing an annual FAFSA. The FAFSA is a requirement to determine Pell Grant eligibility.
- HFS recipients are not required to use any federal education loans they may be eligible for. In fact, the HFS program was conceived in an effort to support and prevent those eligible for this scholarship from going into debt with the federal government for education purposes.
Specific Eligibility Document Requirements:
Students are required to submit all of the above general documentation in addition to documentation verifying your specific eligibility status. Acceptable documentation listed below.
- Purple Heart Citation/Orders OR
- VA letter of disability rating that specifically spells out each injury/illness with the percentage awarded for each illness/injury* OR
- CRSC (Combat-Related Special Compensation) document.
Spouses Applying on Their Service Member's Death (Killed in Action)
Additional Supporting Documents (As Needed)
- Excerpts of Military Medical Records that document combat-related onset/nature of injury/condition.
- VA document that verifies initial onset of injury/condition as having a combat-related onset.
*Please Note: All Veteran Affairs documents must include all pages beginning with the cover page through the signature page. Submitting incomplete VA documents will delay the review and decision of your Heroes Fund Scholarship application.
Submit Your Documentation
Please submit your application and all required documentation to the Office of Military Affairs.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.