Getting Started & Liberty's Military Benefits FAQ


If you did not find what you were looking for...

Check out these other Frequently Asked Questions or chat us live so we may assist you:

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

  • What military benefits am I eligible to receive from the university?

Liberty University offers military benefits to service members, veterans and military spouses (as defined by Liberty University). For more information, please visit our benefits page.


  • How do I get started?

Detailed guides are available for you, no matter what stage of the admissions process you are in.


  • Can I receive college credit for my military training?

Yes. Liberty University awards college credit for training evaluated and recommended by the American Council on Education. To request an official evaluation of your military training for college credit, please have your official transcripts sent to:

Liberty University Online
Attn: Office of Transfer Evaluations
1971 University Blvd.
Lynchburg, VA 24515

Find out more information on Military Transfer Credit.


  • Am I eligible for the Tuition Discount? If so, how can I start receiving this benefit?

All students are required to submit a copy of their photo ID in addition to the suggested military documentation listed below. You may email questions to

Service Members & Veterans: must submit copy of DD-214,* Discharge Certificate, Military Orders,* Retirement Certificate, or Military End of Month LES.*  (Only one of these documents is required along with a copy of a photo ID.**)

Military Spouses: Copy of Marriage Certificate or License with one of your spouse's military documents, and copies of photo IDs for both you and your spouse.**

DoD Employees: DoD End of Month LES,* official memo/letter stating current employment with DoD agency or Notification of Personnel Action (SF50), along with a copy of your photo ID.**

*Must be most current DD-214, End of Month LES, or orders. 

**Acceptable forms of identification must include Name, Date of Birth, Gender, and Photo. Military spouses must submit a photo ID for both themselves and their spouse. Please note: Due to government regulations we are unable to accept Military Identification cards for verification of military service. Federal law prohibits copying or reproducing military IDs in anyway. You may black-out classified information (Social Security Number, License Number, etc.) on orders, LES, or other military documents submitted.


  • How do I obtain a copy of my DD-214?

You may order a copy of your DD-214 through the National Archives.


  • I don’t have a DD-214, what other documentation can I submit to get benefits?

Active Duty:

  • Most recent Military Orders
  • Most recent LES
  • Letter from Superior
  • AF Form 899 (Permanent Change of Service Orders)
  • Enlisted/Officer Record Brief/Data Verification Brief
  • Memorandum of Service
  • Proof of Service Letter
  • Statement of Service
  • VA Service Letter

Reserve / National Guard:

  • DD-214* or NGB-22*
  • Most recent LES
  • Most recent Orders
  • Letter from Superior
  • Enlisted/Officer Record Brief
  • Memorandum of Service
  • Proof of Service Letter
  • Statement of Service
  • Letter from Veterans Affairs containing the following:
    • Dates of Service, Branch of Service, and Character of Service, on official Letterhead, dated and signed by official (manager/director)

Discharged / Retired:

  • DD-214* or NGB-22*
  • General or Honorable Discharge Certificate
  • Discharge Certificate
  • Retirement Certificate
  • Orders concerning Discharge/Retirement
  • Letter from Veterans Affairs containing the following:
    • Dates of Service, Branch of Service, and Character of Service, on official Letterhead, dated and signed by official (manager/director)

Military Spouses:

  • One of the above listed military documents depending on your spouse’s status (Active Duty, Reserve, etc…) and your Marriage Certificate/License
  • DoD Spouses are NOT eligible

Department of Defense (DoD):

  • Letter from HR or supervisor on letterhead verifying your current employment with a DoD agency
  • Most recent DoD LES

Virginia Defense Force (VADF):

  • Most recent orders
  • Letter from company commander/battalion S1

* Note: We can accept DD-214’s with:

  • Honorable
  • General
  • Under Honorable Conditions
  • Uncharacterized (if basic training was completed)


  • Why am I not receiving the technology fee waiver?

All qualified military students who enroll in at least 6 hours per semester (any combination of sub-terms) will receive a $175 technology fee waiver for the semesters. Students who drop below 6 credit hours will be assessed the technology fee of $175. This applies to Associates, Bachelors, Masters level programs, as well as the Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) and Education Specialists (Ed.S.) programs.


  • Where is my military book voucher?

Book vouchers are released 30-40 days prior to the start date of your first course each semester.


  • Why is my discount not posted to my account?

Military tuition discounts are applied within 24-48 hours after your registration has been processed and your military documentation has been received.


  • When do I need to complete Financial Check-in?

Once your military benefits have posted to your student account (i.e. Tuition Assistance, Post 9/11 GI Bill, etc...) the Office of Military Affairs will email to confirm that the benefit has been posted on your account so that you may complete Financial Check-in. The deadlines for Financial Check-in can be found on the Academic Calendar.