If you are a Residential Student please visit www.liberty.edu/interdisciplinary for information regarding the Residential INDS process.  

What makes B.S. Interdisciplinary (INDS) different from traditional degree programs? 

It combines 2 or 3 unique areas of study to "customize" a major that consists of multiple disciplines. Each B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies major looks different from one student to the next.  There are no specific course requirements for the Areas of Study.  It is an individualized degree that provides flexibility and gives students the options to select courses that will help them meet their academic goals.  

Is INDS right for me?

If you answer "yes" to one or more of the following statements, then INDS may meet your academic goals and needs:

  • I put my degree on hold in order to start a career or a family, and now I want to finish my degree.
  • I have an associate's degree and would like to apply some of those credits to my major and continue another area of study that complements what I have already learned.
  • I have a lot of "life experience" and have accumulated a lot of non-traditional credit from workforce training or military training.
  • I used to attend campus at Liberty University but I'm now living out of the area and need to finish my degree online, however, the online program does not offer the same major that I was pursuing on campus.
  • I am transferring a significant number of credits from an area that Liberty University Online does not offer, and I want to be able to apply those credits to a major.
  • I'm on the verge of retirement and I'm pursuing this degree for my own personal fulfillment or to focus on a ministry. 
  • I live in the Lynchburg area and would like to pursue my degree online and also pursue an area of study on campus that is not offered online.
  • Based on my career goals, I would like to combine 2 or more areas of study rather than pursuing one area of study.
  • I plan on taking some courses at a local college because you do not offer those courses online and I would like to apply those to my major.

How can I determine if INDS is not right for me?

If you have not yet established a career, you should consider a degree that will make you the most competitive in the area that you hope to be employed.  For example, some fields such as Education or Counseling require licensure and this is best accomplished through a traditional degree program specifically designed to meet those requirements. In addition, if you are pursuing a graduate degree that requires specific course prerequisites, then you should consider a traditional degree program that prepares you to meet those prerequisites. 

What is an Area of Study and what makes it different from a Major or Minor?

An Area of Study is an academic discipline that resembles a Major or Minor at Liberty University. What makes an Area of Study different from a Major or Minor is that there are no specific course requirements. You can choose to take any course that is required in the corresponding Area of Study, but you can have more flexibility as to which courses you take, as long as you meet the prerequisite requirements.

How many Areas of Study can I have in my major?

You must have at least two Areas of Study that total 45 credits or, you can choose three Areas of Study and they will be 15 credits each. 

What is the difference between an LUO Area of Study and a Transfer Area of Study?

An LUO Area of Study resembles a major or minor offered 100% online.  It means that there are at least 15 credits that can be taken online and you are required to have at least 9 hours of upper-level credits in an LUO Area of Study. 

A Transfer Area of Study resembles a major or minor that is not offered 100% online.  In order to qualify for a Transfer Area of Study, you must transfer a minimum of 15 credits in approved disciplines for that Area of Study.

What Areas of Study are offered 100% online and what courses can I take in the Area of Study?

The following LUO Areas of Study are available: Accounting, Business, Christian Counseling, Crisis Counseling, Life Coaching, Education, Criminal Justice, Information Systems, Religion, Special Education and Psychology. These Areas of Study can be completed 100% online through Liberty and require a minimum of 9 credits of upper-level courses. For information on specific courses that will fit into these areas of study, please see the Liberty Online INDS Areas of Study Guide.

What Transfer Areas of Study are recognized?

The following Transfer Areas of Study are available: Aviation, Communications, Computational Sciences, English & Literature, Family & Consumer Sciences, Fine Arts, Health Sciences, Language Studies, Paralegal Studies, Social Sciences, Mathematics, Military Science, Natural Sciences. These cognates can be 100% transferred and do not have a specific number of upper-level courses required. Please keep in mind that one of the graduation requirements for the B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies degree is a minimum of 30 hours of upper-level courses on your transcript. In light of this, even though the Transfer Areas of Study do not have an upper-level course requirement, you may need additional upper-level courses to graduate. There are limited courses available online through Liberty to complete the Transfer Areas of Study. For information on the specific courses that fit into the Transfer Areas of Study, please see the Transfer INDS Areas of Study Guide.  

How do I select my Areas of Study and get my degree completion plan approved?

If you applied to the B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies degree through the application process, you must first wait for acceptance and full admission. The day after your acceptance, you will receive an email asking you to complete an online survey.  You will select the Areas of Study through the online survey, which can be found here: INDS Areas of Study Selection Survey. Once you have completed the online survey, you will receive a degree completion plan within 2 weeks.

If you have already received a degree plan and wish to change your areas of study, please email your request to indsareas@liberty.edu.

If you are not currently an INDS student and you would like to see a sample degree plan, please email your request with your Area of Study choices to indsareas@liberty.edu.

I want to start taking courses at a local college and apply those to a Transfer Area of Study.  How do I get a Transfer Area of Study pre-approved? 

You must submit a Transient Request (RTTAC) along with course descriptions. Ensure that the courses you are requesting will total at least 15 semester credits in your desired Transfer Area of Study. For assistance, feel free to email the INDS Coordinator at indsareas@liberty.edu. Keep in mind that a certain number of courses need to be completed through Liberty University to meet graduation requirements.