Doctor of Philosophy in Professional Counseling (Ph.D.)
1. Apply online or download graduate application. Submit application.
2. $50.00 Deferred application fee (Assessed during financial check in)
3. Official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copies of Undergrad AND Grad degrees).
4. Regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with at minimum a 3.25 GPA. A master’s in a related field is preferred, but not required. A related field would typically be counseling, psychology, human services, nursing (with counseling prerequisites), or seminary (with counseling prerequisites).
5. Miller’s Analogies Test (MAT) score report or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report.
6. Two Recommendations from Professionals Familiar with Applicant’s Work and Character
7. 300-word letter of intent
8. Professional vita
9. Vignette response
*Submit your vignette response to
Office of Graduate
1971 University Boulevard
Lynchburg, VA 24515
10. Ph.D. graduate status record
11. Prerequisites for the Professional and Pastoral Care and Counseling tracks include:
(Should be taken prior to admission, and must have at least a 3.25 GPA in all prerequisites for admissions in good standing. Some exemplary applicants may gain provisional admission with 9-12 hours of pre-requisite work undone. Students in provisional standing are required to complete these courses with a B grade or higher prior to beginning the PhD coursework. )
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling
- Human Growth & Development
- Research & Program Evaluation
- Individual Appraisal
- Group Counseling
- Theories of Counseling
- Psychopathology & Counseling
- Counseling Techniques and the Helping Relationship
- Clinical Diagnosis & Treatment Planning
- Competency in the below areas is required, but the courses can be completed after acceptance
- Systematic Theology I & II
12. TOEFL scores for students who speak English as a second language (score of 600 paper-based test; 250 computer-based test; 80 internet-based test)
If you are sending in a preliminary transcript for acceptance, you must be in your final term and planning to start your doctoral degree after the last day of class for your master’s degree. You must submit a transcript to confirm that you are in your final term. Finally, in order to maintain your acceptance and be permitted to continue in your program, you must send in an additional, final official transcript with a conferral date by the end of your first term of enrollment.
Official college transcript policy
An acceptable official college transcript is one that has been issued directly from the institution, and is in a sealed envelope with a signature across the back. If you have one in your possession, it must still be in its original sealed envelope with a signature across the back.
Call: (800) 424-9595 (toll free); (434) 582-7800 (direct)
Please send all official college transcripts to:
Liberty University Online Verification
1971 University Blvd.
Lynchburg, VA 24515
Back to Doctor of Philosophy in Counseling (Ph.D.)