Veterans Benefits FAQ


If you did not find what you were looking for...

Check out these other Frequently Asked Questions or chat us live so we may assist you:

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

  • I am eligible for the GI Bill / VA Benefits. How can I start receiving these benefits?

To begin utilizing these benefits, you must first complete certain paperwork before enrolling in classes. Please click on the applicable benefit listed below and follow the guide provided:


  • When is my VA form due?

Veterans’ Affairs forms (i.e. 22-1990, 22-1995, 22-8873, etc…) are due one (1) week before the Financial Check-in deadline for your first term of enrollment. If you have any questions, please email


  • How much can I expect to receive from my GI Bill?

The GI Bill issues monthly payments based on your enrollment and course load or Training Time. Please review our VA Training Times and  VA Pay Rates webpages. Your monthly payment will be based on chapter of benefit and course load.


  • What is my VA chapter?

Your VA Chapter is based on the type of VA benefit you are using. See the list below:

  • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty
  • Chapter 31 – VA Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • Chapter 35 – DEA (Survivors’ & Dependents’ Ed.)
  • Chapter 1606 – Selected Reserves / National Guard
  • Chapter 1607 – REAP (Reserve Ed. Assistance Program)


  • How do I figure out what form to fill out for the GI Bill?

Go to our Veteran Benefits page and select your VA chapter. In the overview of your VA chapter the first step will tell you which form to complete.


  • What are the VA Training Times and Pay Rates? And how do they combine?

To learn more about Training Times and Pay Rates, please go to our VA Training Times and Pay Rates pages.


  • The VA asks for a VA Form 22-1999. What is this form and how is it submitted?

VA Form 22-1999 is an electronic enrollment certification that is submitted by the Office of Military Affairs. This certification reports your hours and term of enrollment to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs through our certification portal, VA-ONCE. After you have submitted your initial paperwork to the Office of Military Affairs, your subsequent enrollments will automatically be reported to us. Our VA Certifying Officials will then report your enrollment to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs through this electronic form. You will then be notified by a confirmation email containing further instructions on how to proceed.


  • How long does it take to process my GI Bill benefits?

It can take up to 10 business days to process your GI Bill benefits. This includes 3-5 business days to process any documentation sent to our office, and another 3-5 business days to certify your enrollment with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. 

Please note: processing turnaround times may be extended during peak periods. Feel free to call us at (855) 355-4947, email us at, or chat with us if you have any questions.


  • Can I request to have my enrollment certifications (VA Form 22-1999) cancelled?

According to the VA, students cannot request to have their certifications terminated in order to conserve entitlement.  This means that once the Office of Military Affairs has processed your GI Bill benefits with the VA, we cannot terminate your enrollment with them to conserve your months of eligibility, even if you request us to do so.  The only exceptions to the rule are all related to actual course changes (i.e. adding/dropping a course); no exception can be given outside of changes to enrollment.  This policy is per the U.S. Committee of the Federal Registrar and can be found in Title 38 CFR 21.9560 under Entitlement Charges.

Exceptions are the following:

  • The student drops course(s) in the term.
  • The student withdraws from course(s) in the term.
  • A student receives Tuition Assistance for the same course(s).

This directly impacts students who have previously indicated that they would like to use their GI Bill, but have decided to not use them for an upcoming semester.

What you need to do:

If you do not wish to use your GI Bill foran upcoming semester, please contact our office as soon as possible to inform us of this. If you do not contact us, we will continue processing out your GI Bill benefit as normal. Should your courses be processed with the VA before you contact our office, we will be unable to terminate the certification upon your request due to this policy. Furthermore, if you do not wish to use your GI Bill for any further semesters, please let us know this as well.


  • Why haven't I received my GI Bill funds? How long will it take for my funds to arrive?

It depends on which GI Bill benefits you are using. If you are under the Montgomery GI Bill (Ch. 30), Selected Reserves (Ch.1606), or REAP (Ch. 1607) you will receive your benefits after your enrollment certification has been submitted to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has processed it, and you have verified your enrollment on W.A.V.E. It usually takes a couple business days from the time a student verifies their enrollment on W.A.V.E. and when payment is direct deposited into their bank account.

If you are under the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33), you will receive your benefits after your enrollment certification has been submitted to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has processed it, and courses have started. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will pay the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and the Books and Supplies Stipend directly to you, and is paid one month in arrears (i.e. BAH for January would be paid at the beginning of February).


  •  Are GI Bill / VA Education Benefits Taxable?

No, when filing Taxes you are not required to include income from U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits


  • Can the VA reimburse me for CLEP Tests or any other tests?

Maybe, it depends on the Test and the current U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs policy at that time.  Please see the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs National Testing Program website for more information and the procedure for reimbursement.