Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty to Host Winthrop for Three-Game Big South Series
WINTHROP AT LIBERTY
Liberty Baseball Stadium (2,500)
Friday - 7 p.m.
Saturday - 6 p.m.
Sunday - 2 p.m.
Complete Baseball Game Notes
Coverage by the Flames Sports Network
Friday - Sunday: ESPN 3 - National Coverage
The Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
Video Streaming: Friday-Sunday - Big South Network
LIVE STATS (GameTracker)
Weekend Series to be Televised
• This weekend's three-game Big South series with Winthrop at the Liberty Baseball Stadium, will televised live by the Liberty Channel. The Flames Sports Network (FSN) will broadcast each game of the series. The games will also air on ESPN 3.
• Nick Pierce and Alan York will handle play-by-play and provide commentary for each of the Flames Sports Network's broadcasts.
Jeff Taylor Memorial Scholarship Night
• Saturday's middle game of this three-game weekend series has been designated as the Jeffrey Owen Taylor Memorial Scholarship Night. The recipient of the scholarship honoring the late Liberty professor will be announced before the game in a brief ceremony.
• Jeff Taylor was a former Liberty University professor and avid baseball fan, who tragically
passed away in April 2010. The scholarship fund benefits Liberty University students
who are enrolled in the Athletic Training Education Program.
• The late Liberty University Athletic Training professor began working at Liberty in
2000, as the head athletic trainer in the Liberty athletics department. In 2003, he became
the Clinical Coordinator for all Athletic Training students.
• Liberty defeated Old Dominion at Liberty Baseball Stadium, 6-2, Tuesday to run their record to 15-5 at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
• DH Danny Grauer hit his fourth home run of the season with one aboard in the third inning, Tuesday. The Liberty designated hitter had two hits in the game and scored a career-high three runs.
• OF Ryan Cordell belted his team-leading fifth home run of the year with Grauer on base in the eighth. He also drove in two runs in the first with a double. The center fielder finished the night with two hits and four RBIs.
• LHP Jared Lyons moves to 1-0 on the year. Making his first start of 2013, Lyons allowed two runs on six hits during six innings of work. He struck out two batters and walked one.
• RHP Josh Richardson pitched two scoreless innings of relief and RHP Ashton Perritt threw a scoreless ninth in the victory.
• Liberty's game against West Virginia completed a stretch of eight games in nine days for the Flames, last Sunday.
• 2B Bryan Aanderud hit .636 for the three-game series, including back-to-back three-hit games on Saturday and Sunday. The 2B has posted five three-hit games this season.
• With his weekend at the plate, the senior takes over the team batting average (.340) and RBIs (29) lead. He led the Flames in both categories in 2012.
• On Saturday, Aanderud had a career-high six RBIs in Liberty's 9-2 win.
• OF Perritt also had three hits and scored a career-high four runs in the Flames'
victory, Saturday. The outfielder stole two bases.
• Sunday, RHP Trey Lambert pitched his second complete game of the season.
• SERIES WITH WINTHROP: Friday will be the 80th meeting between Winthrop and Liberty on the baseball diamond. Liberty leads the all-time series, 40-39.
• Winthrop is the third most-common opponent in Liberty program history. The Flames have only played Coastal Carolina and Radford more.
• Liberty has won six out the last eight meetings between the two teams, including a two
meetings during the 2010 Big South Championship.
• Liberty is 15-5 (.737) at the new Liberty Baseball Stadium and have a 101-48-1 (.677) at home under head coach Jim Toman.
• Liberty enters the week, hitting .282 with runners in scoring position.
• Liberty catcher Trey Wimmer was added to the Johnny Bench Award Watch List, the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission announced this past Tuesday. The award honors annually the nation's top collegiate catcher based on athletic ability, sportsmanship, team leadership and character.
Mr. Steady - Bryan Aanderud
• After a weekend in which he .636 during a three-game series against West Virginia, 2B Bryan Aanderud has moved back into the team lead with a .345 batting average. His average also ranks 10th in the Big South.
• Aanderud lead the Flames in both batting average and RBIs in 2012.
• The senior posted back-to-back three-hit games on Saturday and Sunday, The 2B has posted five three-hit games this season. Last year, he collected the most multiple-hit (26) and multiple-RBI (15) games of any Flame.
• On Saturday, Aanderud had a career-high six RBIs in Liberty's 9-2 win. He now has 29 RBIs, tying him for seventh in the Big South Conference in the category.
• Aanderud enters the weekend among the Big South leaders in several categories:
• Batting Average (.345) - 10th
• Hits (50) - Tied 7th
• RBIs (29) - Tied 7th
• Average with Runners on Base (.369) - 12th
• Percentage Advancing Runners (.620) - 6th
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for an look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each Tuesday or Wednesday throughout the season.
• Pierce, who bring you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.