In addition to other regulations governing graduation as stated in the Liberty University Graduate Catalog, the M.Ed
., and Ed.D
. graduates must meet the following requirements:
- Complete an approved program. An M.Ed. program requires a minimum of 36 semester hours (48 semester hours required for School Counseling concentration). An Ed.S. program requires a minimum of 30 semester hours beyond the master's degree. An Ed.D. program requires a minimum of 60 semester hours beyond the master’s degree (including dissertation).
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA to remain in the program, with no more than two "C’s" permitted in courses included in the approved program. While all course grades are averaged in the GPA, course credit toward degree completion is not granted for a grade of D or F. A student may petition the SOE Graduate Committee to repeat one course in which a C or below was received with the most recent grade to be calculated in the GPA.
- Certain additional requirements may be necessary depending upon the student’s academic background. Any and all contracts made between the SOE Graduate Committee and the student at the time of acceptance into the degree program must be satisfied before the degree will be awarded.
- Meet the time limit for completion of course work and research. The time limit for completing the degree from the date of admission to the program is five years for the M.Ed. or Ed.S. and seven years for the Ed.D. Only in unusual circumstances may the student be granted an extension of time. Granting of an extension of time will usually result in additional requirements. Any student who does not complete coursework within the permissible time limit for any reason, including discontinued enrollment, must reapply for admission. Reapplication may occur only once, and is subject to the current standards and curriculum. The SOE Graduate Committee will determine if any previous courses are sufficiently time sensitive and must be repeated. Beginning with the date of readmission the student’s time limit for degree completion is determined by the number of hours remaining.
- Complete the residency requirement. Minimum on-campus residency requirements are nine semester hours for M.Ed. or Ed.S. and twelve semester hours for Ed.D. One residential course must be completed within the first year in the program. M.Ed. candidates must complete EDUC 504, Historical and Philosophical Foundations of Education; Ed.S. candidates must complete EDUC 645, Foundations for Educational Leaders; and Ed.D. candidates must complete EDUC 741, Theories of Educational Leadership within the first year of enrollment.
- Ed.D. candidates must pass a comprehensive examination upon completion of the course requirements for the program of study.
- Ed.D. candidates must complete a dissertation and oral research defense as a part of an approved program or study.