The first attribute of the maturing follower of Christ is Bible engagement.
Are you engaged in Bible reading? Do you have a regular time during the day when you sit down in a quiet place to read God’s Word?
- If “Yes”, share with a newer Believer how you have created this habit.
- If “No”, I encourage you to start today. Perhaps read a chapter of Mark, Luke or John.
When reading, ask God the following questions:
- What truth do You have for me today?
- How can I make today’s Bible reading personal?
- What part of my life needs to change in light of my Bible reading?
I recently read John 13. In this passage, Jesus explains true service and shows Believers how to love.
Verses 4-5 reads, “. . . so He got up from the meal, took off His outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash His disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around Him.”
Verse 15 says, “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”
This passage reminded me of my responsibility to serve others and humble myself. The maturing Follower of Jesus will consider what he or she reads to make a personal application as the Holy Spirit directs. Engagement.
- Psalm 119:105 says, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
- Psalm 119:11 says, “Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.”
- Proverbs 1:7 says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.”
Posted at 9:53 AM | Comments (0)