What Do You Want?
Did you set some New Year’s resolutions? I have a friend who has a goal to complete his Master’s degree within two years. Another friend has a goal to buy a house this year. Some of my friends have committed to reading their Bible every day. I can think of many others who want to lose weight and exercise more this year. How can we attain these goals? Some thoughts:
Accomplishing our goal requires prayer
- In Mark 9:14-29, the disciples were attempting to drive out a spirit from a boy; however, they could not. Jesus says in verse 29, “. . This kind can come out only by prayer.”
- Hannah wanted a child. 1 Samuel 1:10 says, “In her deep anguish Hannah prayed to the Lord, weeping bitterly.”
- David wanted to be reconciled to God so he confesses his sin in 2 Samuel 12:13. We read his prayer in Psalm 51.
Accomplishing our goal requires effort
I’m impressed with the man in John 5:1-14 who had been “an invalid for thirty-eight years.” Verse 7 says, “Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.”
- Do you see the effort he’s making to get into the pool?
- After thirty-eight years, he’s not giving up on the possible miracle.
- Galatians 6:9 has some encouragement for us. “Let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.”
Keep pushing toward your goal. Pray, work and don’t quit.
Posted at 3:03 PM | Comments (0)