Driver's License

International Driver's License

Full time students may drive on their home country's driver's license while studying in the USA for six months. This does not apply to commercial vehicle drivers. 

If you become gainfully employed and wish to drive in the USA, you are required to hold a Virginia driver's license.

License from Another State

If you already have a valid driver's license from another state in the U.S. and are currently enrolled as a full-time student at an accredited university, you do not need to get a Virginia driver's license unless you become gainfully employed

Getting a Virginia Driver's License

If you are a new student, you must report to your International Student Advisor (contact or call 592-4118) so that your SEVIS record can be registered with the U.S. government. You must wait at least 2 days after you are registered to apply for a driver’s license, and at least 10 days after your initial entry into the United States. Bring the below documents with you to the DMV:

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
See the DMV website for more information:

Lynchburg DMV
3236 Odd Fellow's Road 
Lynchburg, VA 24502
Toll free (866) 368-5463 


  • Your Virginia driver's license will expire on the end date of your I-20. You can extend your drivers license for your 60 day grace period with a letter from the Registrar prooving that you have graduated. 
  • If you remain in the U.S. on OPT you will need to take your E.A.D. card, I-20 authorizing OPT, and I-94  to DMV to extend your license.

International Student Services Hours

8 a.m.–5 p.m. EST

Closed major holidays

Contact us: (434) 592-4118 - future students - current students

Follow us: Facebook  



chat live 2 Chat Live
Asset 1 Request Info
Asset 1 Apply Now
visit Visit Liberty