CMHC 698 Practicum
Deadline to apply for practicum in the 2015 fall semester:
June 15, 2015
Upcoming practicum application deadlines:
- Spring 2016: November 2, 2015
- Summer 2016: February 29, 2016
View Practicum Opportunities
- Students' start date to begin logging practicum hours will be no earlier than the first official day of the academic semester.
- The CMHC 698 practicum course is a full-semester commitment. Students will remain with their practicum site and supervisor for the duration of the academic semester. Students must complete all practicum hours and requirements within 1 academic semester.
- Students must complete a background check as part of practicum application. Please visit the background check website for further instructions.
Requirements and Preparation
- Must have 3.0 cumulative GPA or above by the posted application deadline
- Complete Prerequisites: CMHC 500, 501, 502, 504, 505, 510, 512, 515, 521, 522, 646, 667
- All prerequisite courses are non-negotiable and must be successfully completed prior to the start of the Practicum.
- Note: Students enrolled in a degree completion plan prior to 2013-2014 or took COUN 501 before Fall 2013 will not be required to complete CMHC 500 as a prerequisite to CMHC 698.
- Find a practicum site and supervisor
- Due to the potential time required in locating a site and supervisor, students are encouraged to begin looking for a site and supervisor 3-4 months prior to the application submission deadline set by the practicum/internship office.
- The practicum/internship office offers a site list for the state of Virginia. This list is compiled of sites and supervisors previously used by Liberty students. If you would like a copy of the state site list sent to you, please email your request to CMHCpracticum@liberty.edu.
- Submit all the required approval paperwork through the online submission portal by the application deadline
- After your documents have been approved, you will receive an approval email with your start date for earning hours. The Practicum Team will register you for the course.
- Please note that the CMHC 698 practicum course is approximately 17 weeks in the fall and spring semesters and 14 weeks in summer.
- Fieldwork Contract (signed by the supervisor & student)
- Supervisor & Site Information Form (signed by the site director, the supervisor, & student)
- Digital Photo of Student
- Copy of Student Liability Insurance
- American Databank Background Check Receipt (Background check and FBI fingerprinting) (VA Child Abuse also required for students residing in Virginia).
- Choose one of the following packets:
- Affiliation Agreement (Signed by the site & student)
- How to complete the Affiliation Agreement.
Below is a list of the types of sites that can typically be approved for practicum fieldwork:
- Counseling agency
- Private practice
- University counseling center
- Community services board
*A potential school site must provide mental health services to elementary, middle, and/or high school-aged students. The site must use approved informed consent and maintain records of counseling sessions.
**A potential church site must be an established church counseling center/services that uses approved informed consent and maintains client records of counseling sessions.
Approved Supervisors for Practicum
Examples of Supervisors
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Psychologist (LP) – a Psychologist that earned a doctoral degree in Psychology (Psy. D.)
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision (from an accredited university)
- Doctorate degrees that are not in the counseling field or are unaccredited
- Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) – with the only exception of the macro- or clinical- designations in the state of Michigan.
- Limited Licensed Professional Counselor (LLPC)
- Master of Divinity
- Pastoral Counselors
- School Counselors
- Supervisors who are not licensed in the same state as the practicum site.
Students are allowed to switch sites/supervisors during their practicum experience. Students must follow the procedures laid out for them listed on the Practicum Site and Supervisor Change Procedures document.
Practicum Site and Supervisor Change Procedures